1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2012 Fender Custom Shop P-Bass Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sleeq, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    Man, that is sexy looking! I would love to hear how it sounds. You need to throw some audio clips up there. Tell us about her please. Passive P I presume?

2. Love it, dude!

3. Love that neck. Not even funny how gorgeous that is.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very nice!

5. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    beautiful!

6. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    I want one

7. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    That FB is stunning and the whole look comes together with the Tort PG. Is the FB Rosewood? Very light-colored. The .pdf link you posted is blocked at work. Beautiful bass!

8. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I've been admiring that bass from afar for a few weeks now. A more detailed review with sound clips is mandatory. Congratulations!

9. eqvolvorama

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Also, in the PDF, it remarks that the Jazz bass pickup is in the "70's precision bass position". Is this a typo? Was there any specific Precision Bass pickup positioning in that decade?

Regardless of the answer, I still want one.

10. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    Just a note, this is the stock photo from Fender CS, I don't own the bass :p

11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Prolly a typo.

12. Looks that way to me as well. I guess they've shifted the QC issues over to the marketing department...

13. eqvolvorama

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    This sounds a little petty, but if I'm about to drop close to four grand on a guitar, I want the maker to have at least proof-read the specification copy. That error is reproduced in at least two places: on the marketing slick and on the website. I'd imagine the people who would be potential customers of the custom shop would care about these things.

14. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Not a typo. The 70's jazz pickup spacing refers to the bridge pickup on 70's jazz basses which was moved 1/4" closer to the bridge compared to jazz basses from earlier years (aka '60's spacing). Split P-pickups have always remained in the same position but PJ basses have no 'standard' location for the J-pickup. Look at the space between the P and J pickup in this photo of a Hot Rod P where the jazz pickup is in the '60's position and you'll see the difference:

[​IMG]

15. eqvolvorama

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I know the story about the 70s Jazz pickup positioning, my qualm is with the literature referring to it as "70s Precision Bass position" which makes no sense. I know from looking at the instrument what they MEANT to say, and my issue isn't confusion, it's just kind of a rookie mistake on the part of people who want me to spend 4 large on two pieces of wood bolted together. That's all.

My lawn, off of it please.

16. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I think that the typo is using the word "Precision" instead of "Jazz".

YMMV

17. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
  18. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    That's a nice piece of eye candy you have there, Congrats!!!