1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 2012 Fender FSR American Special Honeyburst P Bass - 7.75 lbs

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by superblues, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Price:
    $650.00
    Strings:
    $650.00 via Paypal, shipped ConUS.

Slim "C" profile neck
    1.625" nut
    Lightweight, 2-piece Alder body
    7 pounds, 12 ounces
    CTS 250k pots
    Switchcraft jack
    Thin, hand-rubbed Nitro finish
    Fender nickel roundwound strings
    Includes Protec Contego case

There's tons of love for these basses, especially for the thin neck, thinner finish, and light weight. What sets this one apart are its well-matched, 2-piece body, and its feather light, 7lb 12oz weight.

I am the original owner and used this bass at home and at a number of rehearsals, but it's never seen a gig or a smokey stage. Bass will ship in an as-new Protec Contego case. This case is lightyears better than the flimsy gig bags these basses came with. The Contego is undeniably a really nice case.

Disclosures: Bass is in good condition with a handful of dings and scratches caused by normal player wear, and a little bit of fret sprout from the dry, winter air. The finish is very thin and is more like a hand-rubbed oil finish than a traditional nitrocellulose finish and the body wood seems a little softer than most poly finished alder bodies. As a result, the bass has acquired a few dents and dings through regular play. IMO, it would be almost impossible to play one of these regularly without imparting a little character to the instrument. Quite frankly, it's a great bass for someone who likes a bass that earns its mojo honestly. There is what I think is a scratch near the neck mounting plate. It appears to me to be superficial and does not look like it causes any significant issues with the bass. Finally, there are four small holes drilled in the headstock, hidden by the stock tuners, used for mounting a set of Hipshot Ultralight tuners (not included in sale). I have tried to photograph these concerns as best I could.

IMG_1.JPG IMG_2.JPG IMG_3.JPG IMG_4.JPG IMG_3372.JPG IMG_3373.JPG IMG_2261.JPG IMG_2262.JPG IMG_2264.JPG IMG_2265.JPG IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2268.JPG IMG_3375.JPG IMG_3376.JPG IMG_3377.JPG IMG_3378.JPG IMG_3380.JPG IMG_3382.JPG IMG_3800.JPG IMG_4000.JPG

2. rbeck47

rbeck47 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Had one of these just like this - great basses! A very fair price for this too. GLWTS.

staurosjohn likes this.
  3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Lovely.

4. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Just beautiful

5. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    Nitro is the way to go.

6. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Very nice instrument at the right price, with just the right amount of "breaking in"...GLWTS

7. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Great basses. I sold mine, still miss it. Great value in a USA Fender. This ad is exemplary. Full disclosure, great price, many pics. GLWTS!

8. blepp

blepp Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Orlando
    If you decide to part out Ill take the neck.

9. Attym

Attym

Apr 3, 2015
    Hmm, I could actually use the body...

10. nwtraeger

nwtraeger

Feb 23, 2017
    Still available?

11. Thanks for the kind words. It is a great bass. Someone asked me in a pm me about the tone, and I responded that the tone is fairly neutral, with just a little something extra in the high mids. My opinion is that it takes aftermarket pickups and strings well, letting the tone of your upgrades shine through.

Sorry guys. I'm not parting this one out.

It is definitely still available. I've had a lot of nibbles and offers but nothing definite yet.

R&B likes this.
  12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I have one of these and love it. I've had a ton of P-Basses over the years, and this one is my favorite neck.

This is also a good price, especially considering the Protec Contego gig bag! I also have one of those, and it is a really nice bag! Don't hesitate to buy this thing.

Also, just a few things I'd add.
    I bought mine used. The original owner had swapped out the stock pickups for a set of Seymour Duncan SPB-1's. The SPB-1's happen to be my favorite P-Bass pickup, and I have them in 3 of my P's. They sound absolutely killer in this bass.

Also, there are a lot of possibilities with the pickguard if you get tired of the original parchment. Brown Tort looks good. A lot of guys like black, but it's not a favorite of mine on THIS bass. A deep cream color would look great. And my personal favorite (and what I have on mine) is the gold anodized. Anyway, just some food for thought. I'D jump on this if I didn't already have one!
    IMG_1213_zps2a35ef1a.

Oh and kudos to superblues for the good description and excellent photos!

R&B and d00dr like this.
  13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Oh, and here's how Brown Tort would look on it:
    IMG_1122_zpsr6lxwwdo.

d00dr likes this.
  14. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    PM sent