1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2012 Olympics

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 1SHOT1HIT, Jul 31, 2012.

1. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Sorry *EDIT(Olympics)EDIT*

Just wanted to acknowledge Gabby Douglas winning the Gold for the US gymnastics.

Awesome job Gabby, yep that's Hampton Roads, Virginia. picking up the slack.

I hope it's not the last.

*Rooting* for several countries but this one was close to home.

Anyone else paying attention to the games this year?

2. Sure, mostly the women. I'm funny like that. BTW: *Olympics/rooting* ;)

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Watching as much as I can

4. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
  5. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I could so easily blame my phone but nope, it was a brain fart, and it's not nearly done.
    I'm up off of no hours of sleep in two days thanks to my hand feeling like its constantly asleep and hurting.

Having said that I swear these are words I know very well how to spell so anythings possible.
    Yeah the phone did it. :D

Edit: okay I tried spelling both correctly and hitting space.

Rooting was the phones fault I guess because I have used routing here so much.

Olympic was my stupidity. Olimpics no excuse for that.

I knew was only 50% as dumb as I thought I was. :D

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah that bothered me too....I give her credit for standing her ground though.

And 1SHOT - if spelling ever becomes an Olympic sport, I know who I'm not calling..:D

7. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Go Gabby

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Same here.

-Mike

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    It's nice to not have to worry about time differences! Any live action missed during the day is compensated for with a great highlights package in the evening. Michael Johnson and John McEnroe are great to watch and have some really insightful comments.

10. Womens beach volleyball on the TV is always a good thing.

The fencing decision was terrible, sadly, with so many events, there is always bound to be f'ups :( I just don't understand how they didn't get the appeal.

11. Team GB just got their first gold, was starting to get worried (though I still don't think we are doing terribly well these games).

12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I think there will be a few more on the water and on the bikes. Maybe a football medal? Then the athletics kicks in....

13. I was hoping we'd get more in-the-water medals, hopefully some more boating and cycling ones though.

Yeah . . . athletics, maybe not so lucky there!

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    GB got gold? Awesome, congrats! Still just waking up here and haven't caught up on the stats yet.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Granted, this is from the Daily Mail but what do you guys think of this? I don't mean the article itself and it's sensationalism, but the topic specifically? I didn't realize that the Chinese in particular had a reputation for cheating? I had just assumed that they were no different than anyone else in regards to a propensity to cheat. If so, now I can sort of understand the comments made when Ye Shiwen won gold.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rutalised-future-Olympians.html#ixzz22F3kryZS

16. Womens coxless pairs (wonder why it specifies Womens, thought they were all coxless...), also the first female rowing Gold GB has gotten.

17. The ease of her win brought in some doping speculation the other day, but I hadn't seen any articles put together like that.

I don't know if they have a higher propensity to cheat, but with the pressures put on them from such a young age (you spend your life doing something and if you don't win you are practically worthless it would seem), I can see why the stakes seem that much higher.

Though I hope she wasn't cheating, and I hope they find out if she was.

18. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Apparently she tested as clean, but who knows. It's possible she could be using drugs that can't be currently detected with today's technology. It's like the East German athletes, who were being doped on various cocktails that weren't detectable using that period's technology.

Speaking of pressure - one Australian swimmer [can't remember her name suddenly] got the silver medal in her event, and was very distraught. I've never seen someone that upset about a silver medal. She kept saying she felt like she had let her parents and coaches down by not winning. Talk about pressure...I felt sorry for her, due to the amount of pressure she thought she had on her shoulders.

19. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Yeah, I can't argue with you there, but YO! if dey hook dat E-bonik ish up, hit a muh-fuh up, I gahcchu . WORD!!! Ahhhiiight!!!!!

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    On the NBC broadcast last night, Bob Costas mentioned the possible doping allegations for Shiwen. He also brought out that Michael Phelps made the same progress when he was that age, cutting off four seconds from his time, so it isn't unusual in that age group for a swimmer to make that kind of advancement in one year. But he concluded by saying since doping is such a huge problem in sports the world over today, it has to be part of the discussion.

My opinion, I certainly do not see this as a Chinese problem. It is a worldwide problem. Many people in the USA would be offended if China was declared the best cheaters. More than a few USA athletes have spent their lives mastering the art of doping/cheating. :)

-Mike