1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2013 Ampeg V-4B 100W Reissue Pt2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2013.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Did you guys read his comments? 4 days ago he said he got the schematic and bias instructions from Ampeg and now the hum is gone. Didn't say exactly what cured it though.

He's put bad reviews on Musician's Friend and one other retailer's site too - be nice if he updated them :rolleyes:

2. JvN

JvN

Jul 4, 2011
    Rotterdam
    If he needed 'bias instructions' from 'failing company' Ampeg after his 'many years' of tube amp servicing to get rid of a little innocent hum, well... says it all, ain't it? Of course, it's annoying to not find in a box what you expect, but hey... Take time to cool down like your tubes and THINK.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    yeah, that's how I found the YouTube videos. I went to musiciansfriend to see what black Friday deals might be available for the V4b and saw his review..

4. What about the non-tech bass player? I think his main points were that it shouldn't hum when new. I can fix some things but most stuff I am clueless about, especially when it comes to opening up amps, etc. Personally, if it had hummed I wouldn't have a choice but to exchange it for another unless you guys suggested EASY fixes. But really....it shouldn't be humming out of the box.

That said, after I move I will be ordering one of these....if it hums I will just come here and ask for advice. ;-)

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I understand what you are saying. It shouldn't hum out of the box, that's for sure. Buying a new amp, nobody should have to deal with an issue like that. Buying locally if you can makes any issues easier to deal with. The store can look after them. There is a bias pot inside the amp chassis that can move, changing the bias setting, if the amp is bounced around too much while being shipped. I wouldn't be dissuaded from buying the amp based on his review.

My point was more that the reviewer is claiming to have experience working on tube amps and yet didn't do what should have been obvious. Instead he seemed to want to rag on the product.

6. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    so ive been asking this for a while now...does anyone have any side by side demos of a real v4b with the reissue?

7. I will admit his review was slightly bipolar. He liked it, he hated it, then he praised it, then he said 'don't buy it'.

I think the amp still looks like a winner.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it makes you feel better, mine doesn't hum. Haven't heard of this hum issue from anyone else, either.

9. JvN

JvN

Jul 4, 2011
    Rotterdam
    Yes, I have been trying them side by side for a few weeks and am impressed with what Ampeg has achieved. As with the SVT-VR and 810HE you're as close to the '69 - '72 originals as you could come with a modern approach. Even when new tube amps to my opinion have a similar 'new' sound to them like basses with new strings, I could dial in '71 V-4B tone without deviating too much from neutral knob positions. I never owned a V-4BH, but as far as I read about them in comparison the new V-4B is closer to the original '71 model than to earlier reissues. So if you suspect vintage amps this is as close as you can get. Slightly more expensive as an oldie, but an excellent Amp(eg). :hyper:

10. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    Maybe his power is bad...

11. Have had my new amp nearly one month. No issues. Like any product, be it an amplifier, car or toaster oven, a defect or other issue can occur. Nobody likes an issue regardless of the price paid, but it happens.

Quality control during the manufacturing process, damage during delivery, etc., are just some of the variables.

I just try my best to keep my perspective - no lives were lost :cool:

12. I received mine on September 13th and gigged with it the next day. Only had 30 minutes or so to try it out before the gig. Paired with a couple PF-115HEs, it performed flawlessly. Got a great tone right out of the box with everything close to noon. Since then, I've used it for 5-6 rehearsals with a 4 ohm Low-B2 and one more gig last Friday with the PF cabs. No hum, no noise ... just that great tube tone I expected to hear. I would guess that YouTube guy simply dislikes Ampeg and I take his commentary with a grain of salt. Some will love it, some may hate it. Personally, I love it. I get everything that I like about my CL except the volume and weight ... and I rarely need 300 watts worth of volume these days.

13. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    how would you compare them on relative clean volume, overall volume, and transition into overdrive?

14. Gotcha. I was just replying to the notion that there were 'a few things' he could try to eliminate the hum. I would fry myself...haha.

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Haven't seen one yet. If anyone in the north east want's to meet up and make a comparison I've got a 73 V4 that's recently been recapped and retubed. We could have some fun testing the differences...

16. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    I have a mint 72 ....just can't find anyone with a reissue or a store that has them here

17. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well, if anyone on here is in Austin and has the vintage V-4B, I'd be happy to get together for a side-by-side comparison.

18. JvN

JvN

Jul 4, 2011
    Rotterdam
    Volume control is much more varied than on the original '71, of course. Overall, it seemed capable of a slightly louder volume output. Whereas my '71 starts slippin' into overdrive around 11 o'clock, the new one's gain knob stays clean 'till around 12 o'clock, but of course this depends on the relation between your gain and master setting. Personally I only use a clean sound on my '71, so I never push it. Besides, the given volume for a distorted sound is not always the volume you want in a certain situation. On the new V-4B, you don't have this problem because you can set the amount of overdrive you need with the gain control and then use the master control for your final output volume. The 2 volume pots, the XLR pre amp out, the active and passive inputs, separate inputs for all kinds of cabs etcetera are all things that make nowadays life slightly easier with the new model. Of course I'd never trade my vintage V-4B for it, but if my wife ever gives me a bunch of money to go out and buy something funny, I know what it's gonna be. :smug:

19. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I had a real chuckle over his gloves - I've never seen anyone use electrician's gloves to work on a tube amp before. I've also never seen anyone use an IR temperature meter on them either - although we didn't have those way back then. If he knew anything about tube amps he would have checked the bias (and hum balance?) adjustments straight-away. My two latest tube amps (Bugera 1960 and BVV3000) both have automatic biasing (as does the new Fender amps) - a great idea for those of you that don't know how to do it yourselves or for someone like me who just doesn't want to bother ;) . It will also make your tubes last much longer. If I was really interested in the V4B I'd probably buy the Fender 100T instead.

20. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010
    Cornwall ont
    I have had my new V4 B a while now . I had no hum or any noticeable hum . I switch back and fourth between my VR . Honestly it is a great sounding amp . The only thing I did notice is the VR seems to have a looser low end . where the V4 B is a little tighter sounding . I did try 6550 up grade for a practice . After finding the bias for 6550 tubes with 445 Volts . With a fan is the only way I would recommend the up grade . iT seem to create lots of heat . How ever the tone was more in par with the 6550 feel of the VR . Either way this amp sounds great . My teck is working out some details for installing a filament transformer so I can run it with 6550 full time @ a fan . I tried the peavey vb2 and it's not a ampeg tone . Not knocking peavey . I saw the videos and was kind of shock on his take of things . What I like about buying this amp was prices are equal on both sides of the border Canada / USA . Some other brands tak on extra 100 dollars for Canada purchases .