1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 2014 PRS Gary Grainger 5 - Leprechaun Tooth

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BIGEJ2, Dec 4, 2016.

1. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Price:
    $1950
    Strings:
    Weighs 9.7 lbs. Asking $1,950 or best offer shipped CONUS. PayPal, check or money order is fine. Sorry, no trades at this time.

For sale is a 2014 PRS Gary Grainger 5 string bass in excellent condition. There are some faint scratches and swirling on the back that I was unable to photograph. This is the only thing preventing me from labeling it as "mint". Comes with equally nice condition hard shell case, tools, hang tags and paper work.

The color is very unusual and like any PRS guitar, has incredible depth. It has creaming binding around a drop top and the back is black. Maple neck and fretboard and PRS' abalone flying bird inlays.

Description and specs per PRS' website:

The Grainger 5 is the evolution of our Private Stock Gary Grainger Bass line. As the primary designer of our Private Stock basses, Gary (John Scofield, Dennis Chambers, Frank Gambali, etc.) collaborated with many bass artists, including Wyzard (Mother’s Finest) and Kevin Walker (Justin Timberlake), to create a Core PRS bass with all the character and quality of Gary’s Private Stock models but with a more universal appeal.

SWITCHING
    • Knobs 1-2 are volume controls and passive/active switch:
    • Knob 1: Neck pickup volume.
    • Down = Active, Up = Passive If this knob is up and Knob 2 is down only the neck pickup (passive) is heard
    • Knob 2: Bridge pickup volume.
    • Down = Active, Up = Passive
    • If this knob is up and Knob 1 is down only the bridge pickup (passive) is heard.
    • If both knob 1 and knob 2 are in the up position, both pickups (passive) are heard.
    • Knobs 3-5 are a 3-band EQ control:
    • Knob 3: Bass EQ. Functions with pickups in active mode.
    • Knob 4: Mid EQ. Functions with pickups in active mode.
    • Knob 5: Treble EQ. Functions with pickups in active mode.
    • The bass will function passively without batteries as well.

BODY
    • Top Wood Carved Figured Maple
    • Back Wood Mahogany

NECK
    • Number of Frets 24
    • Scale Length 34"
    • Neck Wood Maple
    • Neck Shape GG 5
    • Fretboard Wood Maple
    • Fretboard Inlay Birds

HARDWARE
    • Bridge PRS 5-String Bass Bridge
    • Tuners Bass Tuners
    • Hardware Type Nickel

ELECTRONICS
    • Treble Pickup Grainger
    • Bass Pickup Grainger
    • Controls PRS/Grainger
    • Active Electronics (2 Push/Pull Volume Knobs & 3 Knob EQ)
    • Strings .043 - .127
    7EGiV4V.jpg

uUDOE3F.jpg

icfyh6k.jpg

YuHXCJD.jpg

MmGoEid.jpg

nNmQ80Q.jpg

eE6ePEJ.jpg

ymk4dOe.jpg

ZQiDoye.jpg

4KFUJzL.jpg

spxx889.jpg

iW33iU7.jpg

xL8MSGr.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I'm sitting here at practice playing my GG5. If you're even remotely considering buying this bass, trust me, do it. The B string is to die for.

BIGEJ2 and CRH like this.
  3. CRH

CRH

Jul 7, 2014
    It's by no means the most expensive instrument I own, but the sound and feel are beyond reproach. I highly recommend this bass...you won't be sorry!

BIGEJ2 likes this.
  4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Thanks for the kind words. Build quality and tone and second to none. It also has the fancy top and paint job PRS is known for. Incredible bass but the neck profile is a little too wide and flat for my liking. It should however make someone very happy.

RichSnyder likes this.
  5. bassmanbrad

bassmanbrad Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2004
    tone? Modern.......fenderish? never heard one. Salivating over that top

6. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    To my ears it is a little of both, leaning towards modern. The pups in passive mode have a Fenderish tone to them. Active has a more modern flavor.

I'm surprised with the lack of good demo videos out there. This is one of the better ones I found:

7. More or Les

More or Les Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    I owned this bass, and found it to be the easiest 5 string to play. Tone was nothing short of versatile, and delicious.

BIGEJ2 likes this.
  8. Clarence72

Clarence72

May 3, 2016
    What is string spacing at the Bridge?

9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    A tad bit over 18mm. Comes in at 0.71".

10. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Price drop bump.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020