1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 2015 Chadwick Folding Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Pat Harris, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Price:
    $3500
    Strings:
    I've got some expenses coming up, and I need to let go of some gear. I'm also scaling back on the number of road dates I'm doing, and this great instrument falls into the non-essential gear category for me.

I took ownership of this brand new ply Chadwick Folding Bass in August 2015. It has a reddish stain, a matte finish, and looks great under stage lights. It's currently strung up with a set of Thomastik Sprio Weichs that have about 8 hours of play time on them. It comes with a Fishman Full Circle pickup already installed. I also had some additional setup work done, the neck thinned out, and it plays great.

Sonically, it fits really well into a mix. I used it primarily with a tango band I was performing with, and I could use it fully acoustic when the setting was right. When we needed to amplify, I would use a DPA 4099 and it could own the house. For louder jazz/folk/rock/Americana the full circle fit the bill just fine. I would describe the tone as being more "one dimensional" than my carved bass, but I expected that. A positive byproduct of its tone, is that it's easy for most FOH engineers to hear where the bass speaks and where it needs to live in a mix.

From a player's perspective, the bass is quite soft and dark sounding. This is not the case out front. It's pretty deceptive how much sound the instrument puts out front. At first, I was overplaying, especially pizz, and it took me a while to trust and accept that the sound was being pushed into the room. I started with Spiro Mittels, but the top of the bass responds really well with Weichs (at least in my hands). I use my Finale Carbon Fiber Bow on the road and the Weichs were never too scratchy or brittle sounding. Even if it didn't fold up, it's one of the best playing and sounding plywood basses I've ever played.

The case has done exactly what a case is supposed to do. It has scrapes and scuffs, but no dents, holes, or cracks. The bass is a 9/10 cosmetically. Everything is in great shape.

I'm in Austin, TX, but I can ship at the buyer's expense. Thanks for reading and please PM me for additional pics or info.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017