2015 Genz Benz News UPDATE.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svtb15, Feb 12, 2015.

1. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I came across this earlier today on the Official Genz Benz thread and felt compelled to POST it so all of us Genz Benz fans/ users could find this info with less searching.

KMC Music was sold by Fender yesterday to Jam Industries. I have never heard of JAM... But we will see what the future holds..
    If anything , I think at minimum it means that GB folks will not be abandoned. I guess no one knows for sure but I'm guessimg that Fender will no longer handle warranty?? I m only guessing here. I wish there was someone to call and speak with for info RE this..
    Anyway. I just wanted to let all the GB folks in on something that may have become hidden in a multi layered thread.
    Cheers

I am going to COPY the text from Andy himself for us to see ...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    markob, moe.moe, JMic113 and 7 others like this.
  2. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    I hope this means good things for all the KMC companies. I know Takamine has been having a really rough time with FMIC. Maybe good things are heading their way.

svtb15 likes this.
  3. Interesting. Thanks for posting SVTB15 ( & Agedhorse) :thumbsup:

punchclock, Mystic Michael and svtb15 like this.
  4. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Hmm..... Jam is a Canadian company based in Quebec.
    Last I heard of them, they had bought US Music which presided over Eden's dark period. This was in 2010. Eden was subsequently sold to Marshall in 2013.
    I think that has been a good thing over the long term as the alternative was not going to work. So In other words, I think Jam did right by Eden.
    Hopefully this is good news for KMC

static0verdrive and svtb15 like this.
  5. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

svtb15 likes this.
  6. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    I hope it all works out....

TonyP- and sharpbass like this.
  7. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: LAKLAND SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS NORDSTRAND TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE
    Yes me too!

svtb15 likes this.
  8. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    i hope they wold re release uber 210 cabs.... price may go thru the roof..... one thing i liked about the real genz benz is the quality control on amps and cabs.... if JAM took over, i dont know if it could possibly be as good without the original crew.. or maybe they would hire back the original folks????? dont know

mwbonsall and bradjonesbass like this.
  9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I look forward to the release of the Tacobenz acoustic amp.

preside, vmabus and Need Gigs like this.
  10. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    if they start making more NX2's, the world will once again be a beautiful place. I got lucky and recently snagged a used one in great condition, but if I ever need another, I doubt I'll be that fortuitous.

TheRealKong and bradjonesbass like this.
  11. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    I heard the NX2 gives the berg a run for the money

12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    oh, it does :D

quality wise, it's right there on par with Berg equipment. The Bergs usually have a hundred watts more than they can handle, but that really isn't much of an issue. At 600 watts and 4 ohms, the NX2 is plenty beefy.

Sound wise, it's just as responsive with the full frequency range as a Berg (at least, to my ears and the ears of others here who have A-B'd them). Compared
    to a Berg, the NX2 has a bit more of a low mid hump. Personally, I love this about them, as this is the sound profile that I really like. When you get to this price and quality range, I don't really think either manufacturer can be said to be "better", it comes down to your own personal aesthetics. To put it another way, I could happily play either brand and be perfectly satisfied. The NX2 just gives me that extra little giddy smile whenever I turn it on.

ErnieD and svtb15 like this.
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

A revival would be great!

14. sure would ....

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Sorry to de-rail, but, what brands did KMC all hold?

I am hearing Genz and Takamine, any others? I knew FMIC owned those companies, I didn't know they operated under a different banner.

16. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    I pulled this from the above link.. Im not sure if this is the whole list but here ya go for starters

Earlier this year, FMIC announced that KMC Music sold its owned and licensed percussion brands, including Gretsch® Drums, Latin Percussion®, Toca® Percussion, KAT® Percussion and Gibraltar® Hardware – as well as the Ovation® guitar brand – to Drum Workshop, Inc., the manufacturer of DW drums, hardware, and accessories

I believe HAMMER guitars is in there as well as our Genz Benz.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Man the damage Fender did within the short time they owned Kaman.
    Sabian moved to China, Ovation killed their US factory, Genz Bens was dismantled.
    The shame.

18. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

One thing I have noticed in my years, sometimes a step back gives you a chance to gain your balance for moving forward.

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    that is for certain

20. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I know Jam has already been reducing KMC staff. Unfortunately the boots-on-the-ground emoloyees. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath for new Genz Benz gear anytime soon.

Edit: looking at a freinds facebook feed who worked for Kaman about 30 years, major layoffs within hours of the official acquisition yesterday. :-(

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Dominic DeCosa and brutalron like this.