1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 2015 Mike Lull PJ4 - Swamp Ash, birdseye, 1.5" nut. 8.2 pounds, like new

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Billyzoom, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Price:
    Strings:
    Purchased from original owner several months back on TB, made to his specs.

I bought the bass with the intention of taking it to Mike to remove the active stuff and make it straight passive, as I don't like lots of controls on my instruments or amps, and like traditional tones (with my guitars AND basses). Kind of old school in that way.

When I actually PLAYED it, I was surprised with how much I loved ALL the tones and didn't want to lose anything, so I took it to Mike Lull himself, and had him combine two knobs into one with a stacked knob, as I was replacing the pickguard anyway. Fewer knobs is always better in my view, unless you're a Kardashian.

I changed the strings to blue Sadowsky flats if I recall correctly (AWESOME strings, btw), and Mike did a setup. So it's pretty much like new.

Here are the specs.

1.5" nut, J style neck. Super fast.
    Only 8.2 pounds
    Satin finish neck
    Swamp ash body
    Birdseye maple fretboard
    EMG Geezer signature P/J pickups
    Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp (factory install). Active/passive. Best of both.
    Set up for 9v.

Controls are as follows: Volume with Active/passive push/pull, pickup blend (P/J), treble, mid-push/pull freq selector set at 400 hz and 800 hz, and bass.

I've owned everything from many USA Fenders (including Custom Shop) to US Lakland, as well as many imports, and this bass is truly at a different level (though the Lakland approached it...great instruments as well). Nothing else was close, even though those were fine instruments. No joke. Super comfortable and fast, lightweight, hangs perfectly. And that's what she said.

Includes a Fender deluxe locking case with keys, in very good condition. The case works perfectly, looks very good, shows a few small signs of use.

IMG_4417_zpsgfvxolf8.

IMG_4418_zpsbwqqqhst.

C94D4FD9-B3EB-4252-B110-4096E915439F_zpssvc4kiv8.

312A165A-44DE-4134-A3E8-B2878C0303CB_zpsveabthst.

B5276804-6E62-4D16-A6D1-8E60391636CE_zpsvwxgtjqr.

92E3765C-8AC1-4E3A-8F43-73B3747A7AC0_zpsvjd291wv.

D674F1CF-C51F-4602-9BDE-3B97B69332AA_zpsfr8ec8gx.

Selling to boost my savings, since I haven't been able to find a job yet after coming off disability, and just got engaged.

$1,650 plus $75 shipping and insurance. Add $20 to shipping if east of the Mississippi. Price is firm, no trades. Won't respond to lower offers or trade offers, as it's worth more than I'm selling it for and I'd rather keep it than get anything else in trade.

Sexy toe and Steelers pajama pants not included.

Ships to continental USA only, confirmed PP addresses only. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Wow, love the specs.

Glwts

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Gorgeous! GLWTS

4. Ernierocco

Ernierocco

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm going to pull the trigger and buy this tonight.

5. RHA III

RHA III

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    That toe...

jebmd and Billyzoom like this.
  6. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Don't be jealous...

7. RissKippery

RissKippery Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Jeez, what a looker. I wish I could justify taking this off your hands.

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Dang .. pm sent!
    still available ?

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Cool finish!

10. Xansky

Xansky Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Argh! This bass haunts me!

3rdBass likes this.
  11. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Thanks. I can't believe this hasn't sold. It's easily the best bass I've ever owned, and I've owned more basses than my mediocre playing would warrant, including US Lakland, Fender Custom Shop, and even a Fender Mexican P :). They were all great instruments, but this is just another level. I'll happily keep it, I just feel I should try to prepare for my move and my wedding.

For this price you can get a friggin handmade bass by a incredible craftsman, and it's not a bass you'll see at every gig. Lightweight. Premium parts and craftsmanship. Super versatile. Beautiful. I just don't understand. But that's okay. I'm happy to keep it. Ha.

Thanks for the comment!

12. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    It is truly a beautiful bass, and if I hadn't already spent all of my "bass gear money" (and then some), or if I were able to quickly sell a couple basses (I have had one for sale here for almost two months, and have dropped the price twice), I would already have this one in my possession!

This asking price is also quite fair!!!

Billyzoom likes this.
  13. Xansky

Xansky Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I'm now the owner of this bass. It actually has a Nordstrand 3b-5a preamp. It never did have a Darkglass Tone Capsule. Mike have me a copy of the original invoice.