1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jeff K, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    No real surprise that Winston and Mariotta went 1 and 2. Thought there might be a trade for the #2 spot.

The Steelers snagged Bud Dupree at 22, which I think was a good value pick He goes about 260, so hopefully he won't get tossed around like a ragdoll like Jarvis Jones has been doing. Hopefully they'll pick up some decent corners and safeties tomorrow.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Let the countdown clock start for Whisenhunt. Mariota isn't his type of QB, so I don't see that working out. The pick makes no sense to me.

At least the Winston circus is staying in Florida, which is actually bad news for the guy. There's something wrong in my mind when one of the first things he is talking about is earning people's trust. He feels more to me like a Ryan Leaf. I wonder who this years Peyton Manning will be.

Very, very cool to see three UW Huskies go in the first round, all on defense. I think Danny Shelton may turn into the best player taken in the first round.

Bud Dupree in Pittsburgh? We'll see. I'm shocked they didn't take a chance on Ray considering the other questionable players they've taken a chance on recently.

-Mike

Gaolee likes this.
  3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I agree Mike. Clearly the coaches are in extend my job mode. I want it to work out but I can't see it with Mariotas vision and anticipation faults. People call Mariota a taller Russell Wilson. I think he's more akin to Jake Locker with less deep ball power. I just got through watching a ton of film and the one thing I noticed in all the games... he threw a mediocre ball through wide open windows. With the tight spaces he will have to throw to I see his completion rating plummeting, like Lockers did. Both those guys didn't really have stellar completion ratings to begin with.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Jaelen Strong AND Randy Gregory are still there. TJ as well but he is hurt so I'm not as high on him. The RB Tevin Coleman is also someone I like quite a bit. He runs angry :)

4. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    On the fence with the Giants picking Flowers...Raw talent and they are gushing over him but the scouts have him as a project with poor technique...

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Talk about luck, the Patriots lose Vince Wilfork but get Malcom Brown. I was hoping Cameron Erving would be there when the Eagles came up but the Browns snatched him at 19.

6. Funky Ghost

Yeah, Brown going that late is a mystery. 1 pick from the Titans drat it all!!

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Actually, I'm happier with Dupree than I would have been with Ray. Bud Dupree is built more sturdily (kind of like Lamar Woodley when he was in good shape). The last thing they need is another undersized outside linebacker. Jarvis Jones gets manhandled by the opposing O-line. I think they would have gone with a corner or safety had Dupree not dropped that far; but they must have had him higher on their board than Ray or Gregory and no known character questions. I wouldn't be surprised if their next FOUR picks are corners and safeties.

I agree with you about Danny Shelton. In my heart, I was hoping HE might slip to 22, although I knew he wouldn't. Nobody has been able to replace Casey Hampton at the nose so far, but Shelton could do it for sure.

8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Shelton is a beast, plus he has a high GPA and a strong character. He won't be quite as unblockable in the NFL at first. He will figure it out and be a force.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think he'll be a really good one.

And I noticed with GREAT glee (as did hundreds of other Cougs) that Shelton wore Crimson & Grey to the draft. No joke, the guy was wearing what appeared to be a heritage-related outfit in his cross-state rival's colors. Just proves that anyone looks good in Crimson.

They may make a trade deal with another team yet. I could see that happening.

Could easily be Garrett Grayson out of Colorado State. The guy is cool under fire and has all the tools. He's not a runner, but neither is Manning.

Grudging respect to the dawgz for putting three in the first round. It's actually a bit surprising since they had an adequate season but didn't set the world on fire at 8-5. That said, I wish the Cougs had done as well. (Don't ask.)

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  11. Funky Ghost

I am coming around to the Titans draft. I can clearly see that they had a plan, and stuck with it.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Interesting stat from ESPN.com:
    Quarterbacks drafted second overall since 1967: Robert Griffin III, Donovan McNabb, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Bert Jones, Archie Manning.

-Mike