1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2016 Olympics NOT going to be in Chicago

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    I was bummed to hear this. Looks like either Rio or Madrid get the bid

sucks because i will probably be living in Chicago by that time

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    It`s official now that will be in Rio de Janeiro.
    Fantastic city.

Brazil will host the 2014 FIFA World Cup too.

3. I heard a large chunk of that city lives in abject poverty. Hopefully the influx of money from the World cup and these events will somehow benefit them.

Mike

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm totally OK with it not being in Chicago.

Let the taxes, traffic and security concerns be somebody else's problem. Not to mention that unless Chicago cleans up its act in a big way, it is not going to be a nice place at all to visit by 2016. Or live in, for that matter.

The only downside is I was hoping my Bears would get a new stadium out of the deal.

5. there was a funny thing on snl weekend update last night regarding the murder rates of the two cities. rio wins for sure.

heres an interesting quote i found in the article linked below:

"Major highways, including one that links the international airport to the beaches, are periodically shut down by shootouts."

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/2009/09/30/0930olympics.html

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    One thing Americans need to remember is the Summer Olympics were held in LA in 1984 and Atlanta in 1996. We also had a winter Olympics in Utah recently too. Given that the Olympics are only once every four years, someone else was due.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    =

a very dangerous city IMO, even worst than Mexico city.

8. no kidding, it's going to be worse than that time the olympics were held on the western front!

there's no shortage of psychotic towering metal toothed murder machines walking the back alleys of that city.

9. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    The bears just got a new stadium a few years ago. The whole bid thing was not popular with most Chicago residents, Da mayor was the driving force behind all of that

10. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I'm glad Chicago didn't get it, for various reasons. Most of them are puerile politically motivated reasons, but a lot of them also center around things like the violence and whatnot which I understand goes on around there.

Would spoil it for everybody, probably have another bomb scare like Atlanta.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm sure it will. Sarajevo certainly is prospering........

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Rio de Janeiro has a large amount of population living in poverty conditions. The economy and income distribution has been improving over the last years, but it`s still a dangerous city
    (compared to many European or American ones).

IMO, it`s one of the most beautiful cities in the world, surrounded by an amazing landscape. However what`s mostly shown (main beaches, Corcovado and Pao de Acucar) are only a small area of the city. A large part of it isn`t "recommended" for tourists.

Anyway, I understand that the Olympics Commitee has solid reasons to choose RDJ over cities like Madrid or Chicago. They have obviously considered the security factor before making the decision.

I`m really happy for Brazil, it`s a beutiful country full of charming, friendly people.

13. ....and here I thought two sporting events would turn the city to gold and the 130' Jesus into the mayor.

Mike

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Good riddance. It's an economic and political albatross. Just let it be in a time zone that's favorable to TV ad revenue in the US.

15. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I'm of the opinion that Rio just plain deserves the honor of hosting the Olympics more than the other three cities. I also think Chicago probably deserves it least. The giant cesspool of corruption that would need to be navigated to pull off the Olypics in Chicago probably frightened the IOC more than anything else.

Just my opinion.

16. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sweet. I can't wait to see hot brazilian chicks on TV. :hyper:

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have very fond memories of Sydney 2000 and welcome the Olympics back in my home town any time!

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    In terms of violence, Chicago is Mayberry compared to Rio--19 times the murder rate, I hear. I'm actually fine with Chicago not getting it due to fiscal and other concerns. But the security issues certainly look worse in Rio at the moment. I hope they can deal with them.

19. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Considering the high crime rates, I fail to see why they would want the Olympics in either Rio or Chicago. There are some large cities in the world that don't seem to have that much of a problem with crime. I don't see why they can't pick one of those. Obviously, other factors are in consideration.

20. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Crime isn't a concern because the entire area where the Olympics are to be held will be so heavily policed during the two weeks that it will be impossible to drop a gum wrapper on the ground without the cops swooping down on you. The cost of all that extravagant policing (that the Olympic Committee will be making sure is up to their standards) is just part of the huge price tag that the host city/country has to eat.