2016 USA fender jazz pickup pole pieces

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hihosilver, May 1, 2017.

1. hihosilver

hihosilver

Oct 18, 2012
    Has anyone tried raising the A and D pole pieces on fender jazz pick ups? I have unequal string volume but not sure if I will break a winding? My other jazz has dimarzios with adjustable pieces and that's perfect, I know the boomy E and high volume G is part of the sound but I'd like it more even.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it can be done but there is a risk of breaking a coil wire and killing the pickup.

that said, i've been nudging the middle poles of fender vintage-style pickups made since like the mid-90s and they nearly always survive just fine. the poles move fairly easily compared to say duncan's vintage-wound pickups.

barring all that, the fix is to just drop them down a bit, which reduces the volume differences between one string and the next.

Domespeed likes this.
  3. I wouldn't risk damaging the coils. It would be very easy to destroy your pickups by trying to mess with the pole pieces.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have raise the single coil P bass pickup A and D magnet pole piece about 1mm without single issus, i just for got to take photo. But here is my hand draw.
    From my drawing, i believe the single coil jazz pup is same winding pattern like single coil P pickup, the A and D dint warp by wire compare to Split Coil .

IMG_20170404_010202_HDR.jpg IMG_20170404_102038_HDR.jpg

5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Or try this ..Neodymium magnet

Using 1mm ~ 1.5mm height piece.

IMG_20160301_223326.jpg IMG_20160315_014157.jpg IMG_20160315_014224.jpg

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Neo magnets will most certainly degauss the poles. And I know of people who successfully push rod magnets...but I've seen many broken coils because of it, so do it at your own risk.

PawleeP likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022