2017 '63 AVRI P Neck on a truely old body... of a jazz bass...??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heroinsheep, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Heroinsheep

Heroinsheep

Oct 23, 2017
    Hey I'd love to hear opinions on this:)

I have this old Jazz Bass (68-75)... kindof possibly a frankenbass.. it's a refin + has no orig electronics so no massive vintage value or exact age on it... quite a monster of a bass, but not really getting used to the thin neck... I mean it's chunky but the nut width is tiny... I'm used to a wide P.
    Was thinking; 'hey somebody would really love this neck' hell I loved it so much I was like 'this ain't really my thing but wow I'll get used for sure'... but that nut width... not really.. it's been 3 months of trying to love it... I do love it... just I don't feel one with it if that makes any sense... On a P bass I always feel one...
    plus the frets are super low and wide in combination with that thin nut... I mean it has great low action and no problem whatsoever.. also my friends really dig it say it's a great neck... So...
    I thought of just selling the neck and making it even more frankenbassy!!!

But then would a 2017 '63 AVRI P neck fit on this who knows how old late 60s early 70s body?
    Currently there is kindof a gap between neck and body in the pocket area... does that mean the body pocket is large or the neck is small?
    A local tech told me "just refret the neck, it's a great neck dont give up on it... and if you buy an entirely new neck your gonna have a poopie load of unexpected problems".... I was thinking how complicated can it be it's a fender aint it?... Do you think he's right, or just wants refret money?........
    How do you find this poopie out?
    I know it's weird, but I have this strong gut feeling that it can be amazing this combination... even though it may sound odd...

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Kmrumedy likes this.
  2. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Can we see a current picture of the bass?

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Should screw right on if your Jazz is a 4 bolt. And if it isn't, just add the 3rd and 4th holes. It's a good idea in general.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021