1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TRADED 2017 FODERA EMPEROR 5 CUSTOM - Ziricote/Alder/Birdseye

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Soundworks, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Soundworks

Soundworks Supporting Member

May 12, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Price:
    Strings:
    I own two Fodera's built last June with the same wood combos (bought one new and received the other in trade). Primary diff is one has gold hardware with a dovetail joint and this one has black hardware with a bolton neck. It's hard to decide which one to let go, so this is a feeler.

Condition is excellent. Sonically and ergonomically it is fantastic. For me the alder/birdseye combo in a Fodera achieves the grind we love from the 70's jazz basses without the harsh, inharmonic aspect. Fodera craftsmanship and hardware combined with Alder ensures a full B string -- and the hard top (Ziricote is dense like Brazilian Rosewood or Ebony in density) keeps the Alder articulate and punchy. Love this combo.

This particular piece of Ziricote is special -- never seen another like it. I am tempted to keep this one and just have Fodera fashion a new neck with a different fingerboard to compliment my other, so again, this is a feeler.

Detailed specs can be found here in Fodera's Newborn Gallery:
    Zircote Emperor 5 Bolt-On

Weighs just over 10 lb on my postal scale, but it's so perfectly balanced, it feels lighter in hand. Weight could be reduced by 6 oz by use of a Titanium Truss available from Fodera for $250.

$7500 + shipping

Priced as new: $9900 + shipping
    Based on 2018 price list --
    $7550 + $600 (dual coils) + $500 (birdseye) + $1250 (presentation grade top)
    * Fodera announced a price increase for 2019 making this one $10,100.

Open to trades (+/- cash) for other Fodera, Sadowsky, Fender, and F Bass (34" scale only). Note, trade value is $7500.

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.18.37 AM.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.18.48 AM.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.19.05 AM.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Edgar, alzabass, Omnisphere and 2 others like this.
  2. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    WOW> beautiful pattern and layout. That makes me consider putting up my 74 Jazz

GLWTS!

Soundworks likes this.
  3. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Wow that is a good looking bass!

Soundworks likes this.
  4. Hey Soundworks, I can't afford it, but I sure would love to see it. I have no words, other than, I am in Ben Lomond. GLWTS

5. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    Can you post current photos of the bass?

6. Soundworks

May 12, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Ok - going to take some pics now - just wanted to give everyone fair warning:

I hate to jinx myself, but I don't want anyone to feel jerked around when this one gets packed up. I am ready to make a decision.

I rarely, if ever, make counter offers, so my advice is put your best offer on the table. Don't assume I'm always going to negotiate. I know it's unusual but I rarely do. When the right deal clicks, it clicks and I move forward. :)

Stay tuned for pics.

7. Soundworks

May 12, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    ok - here it is under the microscope!

it's very hard to photograph as from a distance it reads as black but up close it is full of intricate patterns. there are many beautiful Fodera's but not nearly as many that actually look "cool" to me.

beautiful birdseye on the front and bonus flamed maple on the center of the 3 piece neck.

IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3024.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3030.JPG
    IMG_3031.JPG
    IMG_3032.JPG
    IMG_3033.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3034.JPG
    IMG_3036.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG IMG_3019.JPG

J._M. and KUETSUM like this.
  8. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    "WARNING: Playing this bass may cause reproductive harm."
    LOL
    Duh, yeah, that's fairly obvious. Just ask any gigging bassist which band members get attention from the ladies in the audience.

Soundworks likes this.
  9. The Basstard

The Basstard Puttin' the "ass" in "Basstard". Supporting Member

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Soundworks likes this.
  10. KUETSUM

KUETSUM

Feb 4, 2007
    Hong Kong
    Look at the top!

Soundworks likes this.
  11. Soundworks

May 12, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Thanks for all the great offers.

Tomorrow, this beauty is headed off to a great new home. :)