1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2017 Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglow Finish Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lowfunk, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Lowfunk

Lowfunk

Aug 8, 2016
    I bought a new Jetglo 4003 in January 2018. After a few months I noticed the finish starting to bubble ever so slightly around the bridge. I contacted RIC, they issued me a return authorization and they repaired and refinished the body to factory spec. No questions asked! I had been led to believe that Rickenbacker’s support left a lot to be desired. Nothing could be further from the truth! They responded very professionally and my bass is as good as new.

12BitSlab, farace and fhm555 like this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I hope it stays that way.

3. Lowfunk

Lowfunk

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah, me too but I’m happy with the ourcome so far.

4. Neil Martin

Neil Martin

Oct 28, 2017
    UK
    Good stuff. Maybe worth messaging them just giving them a quick thank you. They may appreciate it. As we have probably all experienced in our jobs or whatever if something goes wrong people are quick to complain and moan but if you do a job well then 9 times out of ten nothing gets said.

RSBBass likes this.
  5. Lowfunk

Lowfunk

Aug 8, 2016
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I did write back and thanked them for their solid response.

Neil Martin likes this.
  6. I don’t think there’s ever been an problem with Ric handling finish issues as long as the warranty is in effect. The problem most seem to have is that the warranty on the finish is one year from date of manufacture and not date of sale.

GIBrat51 likes this.
  7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yeah, ^^THIS^^. Most problems do seem to get resolved - eventually - but the majority of people with issues seem to have to go through the dealer they bought their Rick from, to get satisfaction. And, it occurs to me that that might be because the dealer is the original purchaser, and the "from date of manufacture" warranty period would be more likely to apply to them - and not, for instance, you.. In any case, as a Rick owner myself, I'm very happy you got the problem fixed to your satisfaction. Play on, Brother; play on...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. Lowfunk

Lowfunk

Aug 8, 2016
    Interestingly, my LGS told me that, as this was a factory warrantee issue, I needed to arrange repairs directly with RIC, which I did with no problem. My LGS did aid me by packaging and shipping the bass (at my expense), then accepting the repaired instrument back (at RIC’s expense) and storing it for me after it was repaired (I was out of the country for a number of weeks while the repairs were being made).

9. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. My new 4003S has a fair amount of "orange peel" around the body edges and their response was that they would send an RMA, but based on my photos "A finish that is not completely smooth around the edges of the instrument would not be considered a factory defect."

I decided not to bother.