TRADED 2017 Stingray SLO Special - 8.88 lbs - Super Fresh, Like New + 3 pickguards - Trade for RIC? (+more)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dub56, May 5, 2018.

1. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Price:
    Strings:
    Hey all,

I just picked this awesome Stingray SLO Special up new about a week ago, I received it on Tuesday the 1st. It still has all the stickers on it, hang tags, case candy (I opened the envelope, but it's all in there). No dings/blemishes that I'm aware of, it's just like when I received it.

I did replace the original B/W/B pickguard with a Mirror guard, and I also got a Cream colored guard as well (it matches the maple neck near perfectly). I just wanted to try the mirror on it (I think it looks sweet, like if Phil Lynott had a 'Ray :cool:), but the black and cream ones are included as well and still have the plastic covering on them. The current mirror guard came from the manufacturer with some minor scratches/blemishes on it, so they are kindly sending me a replacement, which will be included as well.

I've played it for a few hours over the last several days, it plays amazing. The SLO special neck is super smooth and great, I've owned 2 regular 'Rays in the past, but this is my first SLO. Awesome neck profile, nice and streamlined without feeling cramped. I also like my action low, and this handles it great. The neck is nearly flat (just a bit of relief) with low action, and I love the playability of this thing. Neck pocket is very tight as well.

Weighing in at 8.88 lbs. I went out of my way to find a lighter one of these, as some of the Rays can get up in to the 9.5-10lb range pretty easily.

This is a fantastic bass, and without a doubt the best of the 3 Stingrays I've owned, but I think I'm looking for something different than the Stingray humbucker sound at the moment. It does sound great though, but I've really been GAS-ing for a Rickenbacker 4003 as well. I was really on the fence between one of these and one of those when I picked this Ray up, but I think I want to give the RIC a try (haven't had one in years).

TRADES:

Rickenbacker 4003
    or 4001 - #1 choice
    P Bass types
    Dingwall
    Sadowsky
    Status
    Reverend
    Lakland
    Sandberg
    MIJ Fender
    Fender Custom Shop
    Fender AVRI
    Warwick (maybe, would have to be the right one. No Corvettes)

4 strings only

I will absolutely entertain other trade offers as well, those are just some ideas.

Don't be shy though, feel free to make trade offers even if it isn't a RIC, worst I can say is no thank you!
    I appreciate any & all potential offers.

Would trade +/- cash, as appropriate. I also have some other stuff to offer in trade like pedals, a nice ~1986 Contemporary MIJ CAR Strat, and maybe another bass (if there was the absolute perfect bass out there where I'd offer 2-for-1 or something, but that's probably a stretch).

A RIC is still my main preference at the moment though. On the note of RICs, I'm not super interested in a 4003s... I think I like the standard RIC binding & inlays too much to go that route.

Also, I would prefer the vintage push/pull selector on the Ric if it is a 4003.

Top priority would be playability/ability to take low action/no truss rod or mechanical issues. I can deal with some cosmetic blemishes on a bass.

Thanks for looking, pics below!
    Attach55767_20180425_153328.jpg
    Snapchat_664313471.jpg
    Snapchat_745010038.jpg
    Snapchat_754040929.jpg
    Snapchat_875385922_2.jpg
    Snapchat_875385922_3.jpg
    Snapchat_875385922.jpg
    Snapchat_998770392.jpg
    Snapchat_1083369396.jpg
    Snapchat_1282748920.jpg
    Snapchat_1549172258.jpg
    Snapchat_1781803555.jpg
    Snapchat_1809457342.jpg
    Snapchat_1996286183.jpg
    Snapchat_2084241760.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    lowdownthump and Raw N Low like this.
  2. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    The mirror guard is sick. I've never seen a MM I thought looked good, til now. Good luck on the trade.

Dub56 likes this.
  3. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Thanks!! I've always liked the mirror guard look, I thought it turned out pretty nice on this one

Jewce likes this.
  4. MtJam

MtJam

Jan 14, 2009
    Maryland
    PM sent

5. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    PMs replied, and thanks for the interest so far! A couple of nice offers, but not quite what I'm after at the moment.

Let me know if anyone has a potential trade interest! Can work up or down with cash and have some other stuff to potentially include in a deal for the right bass.

6. PM sent

7. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    PM sent...

8. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    PM's replied, thank you all for the interest!

Interested in a potential local trade, may go sometime this evening to check it out, but still accepting offers

9. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Update: local trade appears to be off the table now.

Also--I received the replacement Mirror guard yesterday, so the bass comes with 2x Mirror guards (1 in brand new packaging + plastic), 1 original black guard (with plastic) and 1 cream guard (with plastic).

SLO is still available--anyone have any trade interest?

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Great bass, I wish I had something to trade.

Dub56 likes this.
  11. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Thank you! It is a great bass.. I'm pretty conflicted about keeping it or moving it (it's exactly what I want in a Ray...), but I'm working with a 1-in-1-out policy at the moment.

The only reason I'm even considering letting this one go is because it's so new and I haven't allowed myself to truly "bond" with it yet. I haven't even let myself open the case since I put it up for trade, because there's a pretty good chance I'd change my mind (or at least have some serious internal conflict again).

Also--I managed to break all the images in the thread earlier when changing the main image (whoops :)). This is now fixed!

12. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    TRADED

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021