2018 Aerodyne vs 1989 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swampish, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Keep the Aerodyne

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Buy the Jazz Bass Special and unload the Aerodyne

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    I have been in pursuit of a pearl MIJ Fender Jazz Special for a while, but they seem to go really fast when they become available. Recently, I came across a black 1989 model (non-black neck back, which while not as aesthetically pleasing, is likely a faster neck to play) in pristine condition with EMG GZRs installed. It's at a fair price, but I would likely have to sell my 2018 Aerodyne to make it happen. The Aerodyne is a beautiful bass (on which I also installed GZRs), it's super-light, great neck, but the lack of contour at the "armrest" is not optimal for me, though it lends to the banding which is gorgeous. I still need to try out the Special and make sure that the tone, playability, etc. are there, but assuming they are, value-wise, does this make sense? Is it half a dozen of one, 6 of the other? Again, value-wise only. I'm finding it difficult to get lots of good price info online as both basses seem to go fast. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Would you happen to know if the J pickup is in the 60's or 70's position?

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Aero. A- Binding. B- proof that Fender has the technology to paint headstocks.

also, whichever one feels better.