1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2018 new plans for your bands!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jimmy4string, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. As we wind down a pretty slow year for our band I am hoping to really kick start our gig schedule with some ideas.
    A new website
    Photo shoot
    A video with actual good sound (finally) maybe shot at a venue we are looking to play.
    New ideas for unconventional venues (maybe play coffee shops as acoustic).
    a good EKP
    Dress up our FB
    Maybe delegate some venues to other band mates to hit up -not just me.
    Film every time we play.
    Maybe get an agent.
    Any of you looking to make 2018 a great year for your band? How?

Helix likes this.
  2. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Mine are more musical goals, some of which are band oriented and some of which are not.

Going to create a compendium of all our original charts and see if we can sell them along with our CD.
    Finish off our CD.
    Do a new video of a band I started that has had three gigs in two months and has no online presence or media!
    Cut back the pro bono work I do for a non-profit monthly in the good weather months -- turn that time into rehearsal time with my originals band.
    Figure out how to make my piccolo bass sound better. Just bought an Ibanez Mikro and it seems to work pretty well.
    Chart about 5 or six tunes I wrote recently.
    See if I can get an Original Jazz Compositions Real Book distributed for free to people.
    Put on an Original Jazz Night with judges who give feedback on the playing of the band and the quality of the compositions.

Engle, Helix and Jimmy4string like this.
  3. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Lately we have been averaging 1 gig per month, hope to keep that same pace or even a little more going into 2018. This will be the first New Years Eve we don't have a gig though. We are up to 7 originals, hopefully we can get to 10-12 and start working on an album

Helix and Jimmy4string like this.
  4. I'm thinking along the same lines. PM me and I'll show you a video I shot at Conway's in NB earlier this year. Maybe we can help each other out...

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    We just talked last night about adding a new frontman. Our singer is pregant, so he will be filling in some the first half of the year, then we may keep both of them on.

Unfortunately he’s my sub so we’ll have to train a new sub bass player too.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well, I just hung up the gloves with my band, so they are looking for a new bass player!

I just hit the wall in trying to sustain regular weekend gigs with other aspects of my life and needed to retire and move on. I don't need the money and can do without half the hassle so it wasn't too difficult a decision. And fortunately, there's a couple of talented guys in the wings that could easily do the job, so the boys should be able to carry on without skipping a beat.

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Interestingly, we had mostly similar goals going into 2017. I think we accomplished only two of those things.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    We have been looking for a permanent guitarist since March of this year. A friend, and fantastic guitarist, has been filling in with us but he can't help much longer. I'm booking gigs and am worried about finding a good replacement.

9. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    Strangely enough i am hoping to divest from bands a little bit in 2018 and focus on solo work and self production, mainly a studio project. I plan on acquiring some equipment to start a humble home studio. I'll perform all instruments/vocals and may dabble in some electronic production as well. I've been mostly a sideman the last few years and want to get back to creating my own stuff in the styles i am more passionate about.

I'll remain in my primary band, doing trad jazz. We have a pregnant band member due in Q1 of 2018 so i dont see things being super busy. Will be retiring from a weekly rehearsal big band after the spring season to free myself up a bit. Just losing the energy to keep up with bands and always being on the schedule of others. Doesn't really coincide with my introverted personality.

DirtDog likes this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I hear you on that.

Seanto likes this.
  11. Helix

Helix California U.S.A. Supporting Member

May 29, 2015
    Our 5 month old all original new band is doing pretty good. We are 2 gigs into 6 we have booked at the moment. Looking to book a festival and a fair gig very soon. We also meet with a promoter last week that will hopefully bring us a some good $$....here is a pic from a gig we did about a week ago....wish you guys all the best as well!

20171115_190604.

Jimmy4string and Bassist4Eris like this.
  12. Helix

Helix California U.S.A. Supporting Member

May 29, 2015
    I thought I might add, I'm trying to do my best at promoting this band and thought maybe I could be of some benefit by listening to a few guys here. So I've done a lot of reading and searching here at TB (a lot more reading then talking) and there's a few guys I really listen to what they are saying....here's a few @buldog5151bass @guy n. cognito @Joe Nerve @Bassist4Eris and of course @two fingers I feel these guys have some really good advice....take a listen to what they are saying. It can be really beneficial
    I know there is a lot more to list

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Plans for 18?
    Record the 5 finished projects that have been sitting here forever.
    Gig the two most portable ones of those.

14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    We've got some gigs all through the year, and left space for private parties and a couple small festivals, most of them of the "Downtown After 5" type. We'd like to do less club work. Our sound person is moving out of town, so we're asking around for a replacement. We're playing at a private event in Colorado in August, which seems totally bizarre to me, but the client is offering us enough to make it profitable as well as fun, so who am I to say? We're working on expanding our book so we can play two nights in a row and not repeat. We'll never drop all the old stinkers (Mustang, Play That Funky Moose-ick, etc.) but they're only coming out by request these days. Adding songs by Blondie, Maroon 5, Steely Dan, some other stuff.

Put it this way, things are going so smoothly now that it's making me nervous. I'm waiting for the piano to fall out of the sky...

redhead 2018.

Helix, Jimmy4string and SteveHeissner like this.
  15. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Hell, I'm just hoping to join or create a band that actually gigs!

Helix, Jimmy4string and Bunk McNulty like this.
  16. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    We don't gig as much as record. Our goal (me and guitarist, who midi-controls our drums) is to record a 4-track EP for free release. We just need a few more dollars for the last gear we need, as our music is ambient metal and very effects-heavy. *fingers crossed*

Jimmy4string likes this.
  17. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I'm about to start construction on my home studio. Just got in the acoustic panels this week. Once I get it finished, we're going to try to occasionally live stream portions of rehearsal for publicity. Our test run had a ton of viewers, but the sound quality was meh, so I'm thinking of setting up stuff to stream audio off the board instead of just a room mic. Cool stuff if I can work out the glitches. We're already booked up quite a bit.

Jimmy4string and Duder like this.
  18. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I just got a list of 30 dates for 2018, with an increase in gig pay ... so I know that band will be working some. I have other dates with other projects well into the next year. So my great plan for 2018? Just be there. It worked last year!

Jimmy4string and Bunk McNulty like this.
  19. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

i have plans for the two drummers with whom i play, but i'm pretty sure the actual musicians will retain their self-respect!

1. more gigs, i hope.
    2. more recording, i hope.
    3. build an even smaller, lighter PA.

all i got! :)

Jimmy4string likes this.
  20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Revamp of existing set list. Remove some of the “challenge the horn section” crap and add fan favorite songs.