1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2019 Les Paul Junior Tribute DC Bass Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gjohnson441496, May 9, 2019.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014

2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I'm seriously looking at these .

3. That's a pretty sharp looking bass.

gjohnson441496 and jd56hawk like this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I love Jr and Special double cut guitars, but this is a hard pass.

Typical Gibson bass design...for and by guitar players.
    Slap a longer neck on a guitar body. With a garbage bridge.

5. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I don't like Gibson basses at all usually, always hated the muddy, farty tone. This one has useable tones though IMO thanks to the coil split. At $1k, its overpriced IMO, especially after seeing it pulled apart. I would be a lot more interested at $799, which is what the new single pickup Junior guitar sells for. Would be an instant buy if Epiphone put one out for $399.

Tvrtko, gjohnson441496 and 1960jbass like this.
  6. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Meh. There are countless other bass models in that price range that have more impressive quality, features, and tone. Next....

7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I dig it. Would be a good companion to my Jack Casady.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  8. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I think it's pretty cool.

dmt and gjohnson441496 like this.
  9. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I like it!:woot:

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You're telling me Gibson makes basses. Weird.

Actually, I saw a photo of a blue one and thought, "I could see myself playing that."

Iristone and gjohnson441496 like this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Definitely a step in the right direction. Looks good, sounds good and the price is right.
    Can't think of another USA-made bass for that price.
    Let's face it. We live in a world where some people happily pay more for MIM Fenders yet others think Fender's crazy for charging $1,000 plus for one.

The thing is, Gibson basses get put down more than any other bass, but now they have what looks like a winner. We're not talking about $2,000 plus for a Thunderbird. We're talking about one of the better-priced Gibsons I can think of.

12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    until we each get quality time with one of these there's no telling what the verdict is on such a new SS bass which is rather different from what we're used to, this is going to be an individual call like we rarely see and I find that intriguing and welcome. it seems to favor the mids and lows, even tapped, which I like and if it can dip into EB-1 territory that's a big plus in my book, and the video hints that it can. it would need to rise to the level of a must-have for me to pony up even $500 but if there are modifications that can take it further then it would be harder to resist. this is the bass of the year to me just for the hope factor alone, and I hope to find one I can easily afford lol now, I wonder what Jack Bruce would say...

Iristone, gjohnson441496 and zubrycky like this.
  13. GAS!

Iristone and gjohnson441496 like this.
  14. How nice it is to see a competent review with, like, actual information in it. Kudos to the reviewer.

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Lol this guy is soooo not a bass player. :) Fun video though, I like that he never shows his face, just his voice (which sounds a lot like Mr. Rogers) and the bass.

MattZilla and gjohnson441496 like this.
  16. This.

17. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    So much hate :D

I like it*

Edit: *The bass, not the hate. Though that's fine. I hate stuff too :roflmao:

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  18. I like mine this far.

19. Actually price wise compared to a new Serek or a Rock n Roll Relics Thunders bass its very reasonable.

20. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    He's barely a guitar player. I'm pretty sure he's never had a real gig.

He's a professional flipper and huge Gibson fan. Neither of which is a bad thing. He buys tons of guitars, cleans them up, shoots good pics, then resells. Sometimes he hires a decent guitar player to play the demos.

BillMason and gjohnson441496 like this.