2019 Squier CV60's P Bass Pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Heavy Blue, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Two weekends ago I rented out one of these for a couple of days and it had a nut issue that the dealer is going to fix. Other than that I really didn't like the pickup. Low output and lacking in bottom and mids. My '13 VM Jazz with stock Duncan Designed pups clobbered it at the jam. Made it look sad. To be fair as I've never owned a P before I really don't know what it's "supposed" to sound like but to my ear this isn't it.

The other reviews I've read were not very critical of the pup at all so I'm wondering if this one is a sort of a dud. Either way the dealer is going to give me cost price on getting another pup for it should I choose to buy it.

So I know about the 1/4 pounder but with this one I'm going for the Motown sound so what say ye? I already have a set of year old GHS precision flats ready and waiting lol.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A Seymour Duncan SPB-1 will deliver classic P-Bass tone and should do Motown very well.

mexicant, Heavy Blue and Zoobiedood like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The stock pup on new CV 60P are AlNico V pup, I believe this pup are same use on Squier fretless P and VM PJ which sound nice on both bass.

On your problem, sound like a Fralin overwound P pup are the cure.

My2cent.

4. Just curious... Does your VM jazz have a satin or gloss neck? 2013 is the year that Fender changed production on this model. The necks were satin pre-13.

5. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I was considering this one. Thx for the suggestion.

Yes, I heard that it's a decent pup and that's why I was wondering if the one in the bass I played might've been a dud of sorts. My VM Jazz with stock Duncan Designeds clobbered it in the jam with the guys. More output, bass, and mids. Made the P look sad by comparison. I was shocked at the difference and I'm not a corksniffer by any means either lol.

Thx for suggesting the Fralins.

My VM 70's has a '13 S/N with Duncan Designed pups, satin neck with maple board, and soft maple body in natural and I figure it's early '13 as I also had another '13 VM Jazz for a short time but it was the one with the basswood body in 3-tone burst, glossy finished neck with rosewood board, and Fender Designed pups. I should've kept it tbh. Sounded great with flats and had a great even tone across all strings.

Yahboy and Slater like this.