1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2063 vintage basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geddy402, Oct 7, 2013.

1. geddy402

geddy402

Jul 20, 2012
    So I've been thinking about this recently. Will the custom shop, master built and other high end basses get better with time? I know some people don't get the whole vintage thing but having played and owned some new and vintage basses I prefer real deal vintage...pre CBS fenders in particular.

Never having played one in the 50s or 60s I can't really compare how they were new to now. Are they better now than when they rolled off the line in Fullerton?

Now one of the reasons I believe they are better is because of the aging of the wood. I have no scientific evidence to back me up but there's something about the way they feel and weigh and resonate (Yeah, I know who cares how it resonate its an electric bass) that is just plain superior to basses being made today.

So will we be saying in 2063 that the AVRI series are the best or master built or Sadowsky for that matter?

Don't want to start a flame war about vintage basses, but just curious to see what you guys think are some of the potential outcomes for bass "maturing" in the next 50 years.

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    It's possible that they could become the vintage fenders. Maybe they'll even make 2013 reissues? It's all a matter of personal taste. If someone where to give me a choice between a 1965 and a brand new 2013 American standard I would choose the new one.

3. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    I wonder how much of the vintage "mystique" is the scarcity of the basses from that era since they were not mass-produced on the level as some are now. I feel like the "boutique" basses of today will be fitting that category in the future.

Also, some of the mystique might be the touch to the "roots" of the electric bass that current vintage models have. Whereas, the new basses of today won't have that distinction.

As far as the aging of the wood, it would be interesting to see how current basses age with the more up to date harvesting and preparation of the wood - as well as how it is grown anymore. I think storage and preservation of material before it is worked is much different than it was back then, and the painting/finishing processes and materials are much different. I wonder if future vintage basses will not sound as "broken in" as current vintage basses do

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yeah. I like the idea of Fender in 2063 making a reissue of a Custom Shop early '60s relic. I wonder if it would be a restored relic, or if they would just make it with all the relic'ed relicing. Wow, unearned mojo squared. ;)

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I just deciphered what you said.... now I need to go lie down.:p

In any case, I vote for a relic'ed - refinished - re-relic'ed 2063 tribute model of the 2012 1975 Jazz reissue that was a nod to the original 1975 bass which most people hated on release in the first place. It would have to weigh 12+ lbs, have at least 3 non-matching pieces of body wood, have a 1/4" gap one one side of the neck, 1/2" of poly paint slathered on the body and the "classic" Fender 3 bolt neck.:hyper:

That would be something our grand kids would GAS for!:bassist:

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I played Fender Precisions and Jazzes in the 60's, so I guess I may be qualified to comment.

If you are asking if basses improve with age, the answer is that they change with age. If you find it an improvement, then yes. The pickup magnets "soften" with age and that affects their frequency response. The wood ages and that affects the frequency response of the system (the entire instrument). Then there's the feel of a worn instrument, the "mojo" of wear, etc. Are all of these improvements? ....

I play my modern instruments more than my vintage ones because I think they sound better. Not everyone agrees with me though.

7. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    If we can't just perfectly replicate a '62 JBass from a picture in 2063 in our magic replicators I will be majorly disappointed.

8. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Much like how many 1970 Chevrolet cars and trucks were ready to rust in pieces by 1985, showing lots of wear after only 15 years and maybe 130,000 miles... Today, a car made in 1998 is now 15 years old with likely well over 200,000 miles, yet unless they were subject to lots of abuse or neglect, they still look much like they did when new (some GMC/Chrysler clear coat finishes aside).

Back onto musical instruments, 70-80's basses are already seeing less appreciation and desirability than the 50-60's did, when comparing them within their own "vintage" time frames, I think partially because it boils down to one thing -

Poly doesn't wear like nitro.

Example - Had my 2000 StingRay been a real 1962 Precision Bass, being exposed to all the mileage of the hundreds of gigs, sweat, smoke and godknowswhatelse that I've put on it since I bought it new, it definitely would've lost a lot of it's finish by now. While the maple neck does show it's age with player wear and the bright white finish has yellowed, it looks like it was sprayed on yesterday with hardly any dings, and maybe one little chip.

9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

In 2063, you will be able to print up a brand new 1963 Jazz bass, so long as you load the correct wood fiber cartridges into the 3d printer. You can cusom relic the body and neck so that you get just the right amount of wear when it comes out of the printer chamber. Don't like it? Print up a '62 or a '64. No problem! Wood will be a thing of the past, since the last tree will have been used to make plywood for formwork for a huge dam project along the Yagtze River in about 2047, but it won't matter, since you will be able to print up some perfect swamp ash boards anytime you want.

10. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    Isn't the world supposed to be submersed in water by then? If not, a meteor will destroy the planet.

11. geddy402

geddy402

Jul 20, 2012
    That's a good point...they change. Might be for the better might be for the worse depending on who you ask.

But I wonder if the basses being made (in a similar style as the originals...nitro, same woods, pick up materials, etc) today will age well. I guess only time will tell.

12. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Oh, yeah. Sorry. I forgot.

13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Isnt California supposed to fall off into the pacific? that would put a damper (hehe) on fender California, wouldn't you say?

14. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    Us bassist thinks way to much in the past its getting annoying

15. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Back in the early 70s I was playing a 100 yr old DB... it's age seemed unfathomable to me in my early 20s. Now, it boggles the mind to think of my '59 P-Bass being 100 yrs old in only 46 yrs! More than half-way there. I really hope one of my grand kids will hang on to it... 46 to go. (and, now with my perspective 46 years is a blink)

16. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Better to live for today and make music now

17. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Remember that we only see the good vintage stuff and not the dogs. There was more hand work then, therefore more inconsistent stuff. Some of that stuff was very good. But some of it was really crap. In the year 2063 a well-crafted handmade bases still going to be a good instrument. however crappy bases are still going to be a crappy. it's just going to be a crappy bass that is 50 years old.

18. Only in Algore World. The rest of us will still be on terra firma.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In 2063, I will be 102. I have this feeling I won't care ;)

20. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Yeah, that vintage 2010 Squire Affinity Pbass and amp package will only be about $12K in 2063, IF you can find one.

Dad: "Yeah, son, Grandpa only paid $179 for that, brand new!"

Son: "But why, Dad, why?"