20lbs. shootout: Eden, GK, Epifani, Thunderfunk?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whisper, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    The contenders:

Eden WT800 or 550
    GK 1001-RB II
    Epifani UL-502
    Thunderfunk 550
    ...plus anything else in the 20lbs. range.

I'm looking for a punchy, fat (but not boomy) fingerstyle tone from a 60's style J-Bass. I currently have a Sunn 300T but I will be selling it - the weight is too much, and all the gigs I play have full PA support.

My current cabinet is a MarkBass 4x10 but I will be downsizing to a Schroeder 1210 Neo when they come out.

Your opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The iamp series and the mark stuff are also pretty light weight. When I think "punchy, fat (but not boomy) fingerstyle tone from a 60's style J-Bass" I usually don't think GK, but maybe that's just me. I'd opt for Eden or the thunderfunk, but then I haven't heard that Epi.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Having narrowed down my choices to an Eden WT550 or Thunderfunk I did some testing with identical cabs and came to these conclusions.

The Eden is warmer (think 60's jazz) and probably one of the best "old school" solid state heads. The tube front end does make a difference.

The Thunderfunk is a little "punchier" and probably slaps better

Both of these amps are more then adequate at assuming the others role. The Eden slaps fine and the thuderfunk can get warm.

The GK's are a little more sterile and have a grindier high end.

I haven't played the Epiphani.

I ended up with the Eden because I like the extra warmth and old school vibe. I run my WT flat and rarely run enhance above 9 o'clock.
  4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    You might want to check into the Eden or Aguilar AG. Both warm but not hifi. The aguilar is solid sate
  5. I can get fat (but not bulbous), mega punchy tone out of my 1001RB-II. Probably helps to be paired up to a Schroeder 1210 :smug:
  6. I use a Eden WT550 and I can get massive lows that are not boomy and a sweet warm sound. Though it might help that its paired with a schroeder 1212.
  7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

....it's lovely
  8. Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    +1 for the Walkabout
  9. I'd actually recommend the MPulse600 over the Walkabout for a tube type sound.... that Schroeder will be able to handle the 600 watts with ease, and you get lot's more ooomph and also a very nice on-board compressor.

The Mpulse is not my sound... but if you are looking for 'old school' tube sound in a small package, it's about as good as you are going to get IMO.

Also, that 1210 tends to have a somewhat compressed low end. The Mpulse has a very big, open low end.... so they should work very well together.
  10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah, the M-Pulse 600 is definately a good head. Playing it made me decide to go Mesa and get the walkabout...I haven't had chance to play the two side by side though.

Is the 600 in the 20lbs range?
  11. I believe it's 26 pounds... close enough I think. You know, I greatly prefer the Eden or TF myself, but since he's coming from a tube amp and sounds like that's the sound he wants, there just doesn't seem to be any other hybrid head that sounds so much like a 100% tube amp than the Mesa stuff. The Eden tube pre does warm things up nicely, but it sounds like a SS amp to me.... that Mesa600 and the Walkabout really can fool you into thinking theres a tube power section in there IMO. I guess the AG750 is similar... sounds tubey to me.

I really think the 1210 and 1212 fit well with that big, open low end sound of the Mesa600 and the Ag750. Those amps tend to get a little 'bloomy' in the bass end for me, and the 1210 tends to be a little shy below 100hz... just seems like a nice pairing to provide nice, tight, deep low end in a small package.

However.... I sold my Mesa before I got my 1210... so.... just speculating on the combination at this point.
  12. Absolutely check out the AG500.
  13. I'd choose the eden (I have an 800), but I've never played the epi. GK's are cool, but not really a 60's tone at all IMHO. The aguilar ag500 (which I also have) is cool, worth a look for sure. To me the eden is more all purpose, more flexible. The aguilar is what I use for rock or more agressive music, but it would be at home in many other style's, IMHO.
  14. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    I use the Epi 502UL and a 410UL with my 64 Jazz and really like it's voice. Although I havn't heard the 502 with a Schroeder cab, but agree with Ken (particularly since he's well knowledged in Schroeders) that for you, the Mesa 600 would be a good choice. You'll want the headroom over the Walkabout.