1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

20th Anniversary SR5: Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ajb, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    I had a chance to play one of these over the weekend. I was highly, highly skeptical of the inflated price tag. An SR5 with extra bells and whistles but essentially a production SR5, right? Plus, I am a "late 80s-early 90s" Musicman snob; the new models just haven't really done it for me and frankly seem cheaper to me than the old ones. So I fully I expected to be disappointed. although I was curious. That was my mindset when I grabbed the 20th Anniv. off the wall.

My God was I wrong! This is hands down one of the coolest, best sounding 5 strings I have ever played, in any price range. It is much, much better than a production SR5. More resonant, deeper, punchier, notes sustain longer. But the biggest difference for me was the B string. One of the complaints I have with my SR5 (a 1993 model) is that the B string is not fully useable up and down the neck. It's certainly good, but IMO not great. Not so with the 20th Anniv. The B string kicks from the low B all the way up. Finally, a fully useable B string to go along with that awesome stingray sound. The thing is just awesome, and it grows on you the more you play it. I became immediately obsessed.

The one I played had a rosewood board and then they didn't have a maple one available, which I prefer. So I went home, got on the net and found a sick maple board single H 20th Anniv. at BassCentral in Florida and ordered it, damn the expense. It's on its way to me right now! Needless to say I am damn excited -- and needless to say my '93 is going bye-bye. Sorry ol' buddy -- your ass has been smoked!!!!!!!!!!

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Yet another convert.

Welcome to the club.

3. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX

Here's Ed reviewing the 20th av SR5.

4. Pump Man

Pump Man Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Pasadena, MD
    Brother,

The 20th's have special preamps too!

My 20th is the warmest, most resonant bass I have ever played EVER!

Carter

5. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

6. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    What model did you get? H, HS, of HH?

7. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    Single H, maple board, non-matching headstock. Man I cannot wait!

8. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Mine is an HH with rosewood board. Killer!!

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I was going to buy a 20th tomorrow but I am going to have to pass as I just can't make a deal with some of the stuff I want to trade in. :crying:

I might revisit a HS or HH in a couple of weeks after I eBay some stuff, but I will likely have to just walk away. I absolutely love the sound of the 20th but I just laid out large $$$ for another 5er and just picked up a new 30th SR. Cash isn't exactly abundant these days!:help:

Anyways, the 20th SR5 is an amazing bass and is sure to be a real collectors item down the road!:bassist:

10. so to me, it looks like the bridge pickup in the bass in the video is in the same place as the bass in bovine's picture. Is this right?

11. Not.

Then there's the 25th anni, the 30th anni, etc, etc.

I'm just one who doesn't believe in the speculative collectable aspect of any mass produced instrument in this day and age.

This does not take away from the bass which I'm sure is a killer instrument since the regular SR5 has always impressed me.

12. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    +100!
    I love my SR5 20th HH maple w/ matching headstock. It's my main bass and I wouldn't trade it for the world!:D

13. Baird6869

There is currently the 30th SR4, the 20th SR4 was released 10 years ago and this one.

I personally invest money in things other than basses but I would expect the 20th SR5 to be worth quite a bit more that a standard SR5 down the road. You won't get rich off buying this bass but will you get back what you paid for it vs. losing a fortune? I think so.

14. I can't argue that. :)

15. Baird6869

Oh yeah?!?!?!?:mad:

.... Take that then!:eyebrow::D

You do have a good point though.... I personally (as an owner of very expensive 20th Anni SR and 2007 LE SR basses) will be awfully p!$$ed by 2118 if EBMM releases a 35th, 37th, 38 1/2 and 40th Anniversary Stingray AND 2009, 10, 11, 12, etc and maybe monthly Limited Edition basses (Hey, Gibson did it!!):scowl::D It can get out of hand.

16. laneline

laneline Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    North Jersey
    I recently got mine and it is beyond all of my expectations, effortless to play, killer pre amp, a looker too, definitely on wrong side of ten pounds
    but thats pretty much where they are in general. I have to thank Ed F. after seeing his demo on you tube, I ordered it the next day from TPB ,
    I bought as a great bass for the money, the upgrades EB/MM did are all
    functional, definitely a keeper. Highly recommended, there can't be too many floating around though.

CIMG1049.

17. That finish is G o r g e o u s!

18. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Here's mine - ajb this is the same one you're waiting for, no?

One comment about the B string - it's absolutely ridiculous. If I play an open B anywhere close to my amp at normal volumes, it actually gets LOUDER over time to the point of needing to be muted. I'm bought in to this 'mahogany tone block' thing.

Mine has a different kind of "quilt" top - maybe a little less fancy but I dig it. Doesn't look so much like I'm playing a high-end coffee table on stage.

Attached Files:

19. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Do they come in other finishes?
    Sorry for the ignorance but I've been looking for an SR4 in natural/maple combo and wonder if the Aniv series comes in this finish.

Saw that video and was amazed by the tone. I used to own an SR5 and never got close to that sound.

Thanks

20. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Nope, that's it. It is what it is.