1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

21 fret neck to p-bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DaniKettu, Jan 12, 2012.

1. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

Aug 18, 2008
    So I just bought a cheapo p-bass which I need to change the neck. I really don't want to pay very much for the new neck and I want lefty maple neck with blocks. I really only found one and it has 21 frets and the previous neck had 20. That's what I call sticky situation...:meh: The necks both are 34" scale. So how can I fix this situation. Can I just move the saddles, bridge or cut piece out of neck or move or what?!

2. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    In most cases the 34" scale necks with more than 20 frets just have an extra long fret board and not extra length in the neck. Are you buying private party or ordering from a company? Either way if you're buying through a classified section just ask for pictures to prove this, if your buying from a company just contact customer support. If the neck is a 34" scale and has 21 frets great! You just have to install it, no changes will be required.

3. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

Aug 18, 2008
  4. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    In truth if it is a true 34" scale neck you shouldn't have to do anything to it. I would feel more comfortable if someone more experienced than I chimed in on this though.

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    there is NO mention of this neck fitting a standard Fender sized neck pocket, and no mention of what neck pocket standard they follow.

the linked neck is for a 21-fret neck with no overhanging fretboard (based on observation of the posted images at the time of my reply here) ... making the pocket a different configuration than a standard Fender.

if your neck pocket is standard Fender, there is a significant potential for this neck to NOT be a simple plug-n-play type replacement for your bass project

I have no first-hand knowledge of this neck, and base my comments here solely on the reference listing text and images. I have no dog in this fight, and am not fishing for work with this post

all the best,

R

6. Standard Fender specs only allow for 20 frets, unless a fretboard overhang is present. To get 21 with no overhang, the neck must be made longer. That is a 21 fret neck with no overhang, which means that it won't work with the standard bridge placement of a P bass.

7. It's gonna be a kludge. You can make the Eden neck work... eventually but it'll probably involve cutting the heel of the neck shorter and shimming the sides of the neck pocket or cutting into the body a little and still having to shim the sides or just mount the neck, relocate the bridge and deal with the slight distance variation of pickup location from a stock P.

You could also try this lefty 20 fret neck from Rondo. Granted it has white mother of toilet seat inlays but then what do you expect on a budget? ;)
    sjb75ctneck1left.