Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

21 inches

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jivetkr, Mar 14, 2003.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    have you guys seen the new 21" subs that accugroove & bag end have out?

It can go down so damn low. Break out the f# strings!

2. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    You would need to stand about 30 feet away from it to really hear it.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You may have to stand 30 feet away from it to hear it, but I GWARantee your colon will feel it, no matter how close you are...

And that's what counts!

;) ;)

4. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Huh? You may want to break out the Handbook for Sound Engineers again....;)

Peace

5. Hey Camoe, or any body else,

Quick question, i have seen it mentioned in a number of posts that it takes so many feet for the bass to form (or what ever the frick'n word is, you know what i mean) on some bigger speakers, is it true or not, or some what, ect, if it is how many feet for a couple of 15's (215e ampeg classic)?

this might be a stupid question, but you dont get any smater if you dont ask!

Thanks in advance guy's!

6. Care to elaborate? Why is that?

My true subwoofers can be heard (and felt) perfectly from 3 feet away, and closer.

7. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    The bass frequencies work is like this. 20Hz, the lowest frequency we’re supposed to be able to hear, would clock in around a 56 foot wavelength. Do you need a room with at least one 60-foot dimension in it to hear a real 20Hz in the room? Nope. Your ears actually pick up sound in a different way, reacting to the compressions and rarefactions in the air as the sound travels though the room. Twenty Hertz creates 20 compressions and rarefactions per second and your ear will pick that up even if you are listening to headphones (provided they respond that low). If this were not the case, an ear canal would have to be 60 feet long.

Bass frequencies reaction with it's environment is sketchy at best to predict with their long wavelenths creating nodes and anti-nodes (i.e. standing waves) all over the place. There are mathmatical rules to actually place subwoofers, cabs, and PAs so they will interact with the room providing a smooth bass response. This is why where you hear a cab and how it is placed in relation to walls and corners can have a dramatic effect on it's sound.

Hope this helps.

Peace

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Does it come with it's own crane to help you carry it?

9. It is only 87lbs. Much lighter, than say, any 810(that I have seen anyway) and probably lighter than most if not all 410s.

Geoff

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Every soundguy will kill you if you try to use one onstage... :p

11. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I've figured out that a low F# is very close to 23 hz......almost inaudible if not for harmonics....oy....thatll knock down a few buildings! especially with a 21+ inch sub....or better yet, 36! i may have actually heard of the xistance of a 30 sumthin one.....but.....ok never mind thats just wrong...

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'm gettin an 87" next week. It has a frequency response of 2hz and the wavelength is 3.4 miles! Good for interstate concerts.

13. I believe Clarion as a 32" sub for car audio.

I imagine you can hear down to 23Hz. The majority of hearing damage occurs in the higher end of the spectrum.

On the other side, the 2nd harmonic is louder than the fundamental (in general), so it probably isn't a big deal.

Another thing I wonder about, is whether speaker designers take perceived loudness into account when designing speakers. Based on studies, 3kHz sounds has the same perceived loudness at 70dB as 50Hz does at 90dB. Sure, the speaker has a flat frequency response from whatever to whatever, but that isn't what we hear.

Geoff

14. Speaker designers don't take percieved loudness into account, and they shouldn't. Good musical instruments are designed to sound good. They don't need the speaker to bump up the bass to compensate for the response of the ear. That compensation is already there.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yup.

Note, this is generally what the "loudness" switch does on some stereos (bumps the bass and treble to "flatten" the curve WRT ear's sensitivity). But, as any decent recording was monitored withOUT such EQ, likewise instrument design etc, it's actually just a marketing gimmick. Acutally some "loudness" processing adjusts the boost depending on the volume level - adding more boost at low levels. But this is still pretty pointless.

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    why would anyone need a 32" in a car? doesnt make any damn sense. why would anyone need a 32" anyway? sonething 10 inches smaller would do the trick just as well methinks. yarrr! muddiness ho!

17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The thing about the varying frequency response of the human ear is that it varies from person to person and once you get up to gig volumes it's relatively flat. Here's a useful page about it:

http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

If other animals with a flat frequency response to their hearing were to work as studio engineers I'd imagine that we'd all think they'd boosted the mids too much, but as it is, everything's built or mixed by humans so the problem cancels itself out.

Alex

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wasn't refering specifically to weight. The thing would be so wide that to carry it would be like hugging Rosanne Barr.

No generally they don't. But in Hi-Fi it is common to attenuate the tweeter/horn to bring it into balance with the woofer. Also in live PA applications, we try to place the speakers so the horns above head level. Pointing a horn straight at your head at 100+ decibels feels like sticking your head into a microwave.

This statement can be taken 2 ways. Are you saying that higher frequencies are responsible for hearing loss? Or are you saying that we lose the ability to hear high frequencies first?

According to my audiologist, it's to lower frequencies that damage your ears in the first instance. But in an unexpected twist, the first frequencies to disappaer are the higher ones, typically 6k or therabouts. People tend to blame top end for losing top end but that's apparently not the case.

19. Oh no, if 1 21" driver is a little questionable at gig time.....what's the soundman gonna say when you bring one of these monsters?

[​IMG]

Called the bassault. I'd love to see one. And only 310lbs!

20. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just for laughs:

My friend and I in High School put an 18" in the trunk of his Honda Civic. We were pulled over at the local street drags and the cop searched the car. When he saw the sub his reaction was

"what the hell!"

That's probably why I can't hear. "Will somebody answer that damn phone." Anybody get that?:D