1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

21" scale boutique bass - looks like a lot of fun!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender32, Sep 17, 2010.

1. I just came across this on the Marleaux website (Link...), whilst trawling for bass pron :ninja:.

s_d_9.jpg

Anyone here tried one of these 'Consat Sopran' models? They look like a lot of fun, but I haven't seen the prices yet :meh:.

2. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Why are they called basses?

5. ... as opposed to :meh:?

6. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I dunno... but the scale and tuning wouldn't really be considered qualities of a bass, would they?

Maybe "4-string guitar" would be more appropriate?

7. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Here is another great video from Winter NAMM.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I saw these at NAMM. They were fun, but the short scale was very hard to play in the upper registers and slapping wasn't nearly as fun as I thought it would be.

However, Marleaux is a stand-up guy and makes great instruments (German engineering always seems to be the best, plus the Delano pickups). He's a pretty good player, and his attention to detail is immaculate. If you truly wanted one, you wouldn't be disappointed. They're just a tad on the pricey side, IMO.

9. No speakers at work. What it tuned to?

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    baritone guitar missing 2 strings

11. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

Fixed that for you ;)

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Octave above a bass guitar. ie, a guitar without the high B and E.

If Circle K made strings in lengths for that, I'd get a balanced set tuned to a regular bass' tuning. Probably need a .130 B or something.

13. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    This is why I play guitar 60% of the time. But I'm sure it has its place.

14. Ah. I was interested in the theoretical 21" scale bass, but thought in lieu of the Kala U Bass that this might be a regularly tuned bass.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    hahaha you are right ... if they were cheap I would want one.

Heck ... I could build one of those from guitar parts ... hmmm ... this could be an interesting idea.

This has me thinking of building a short scale 8 string bass.

16. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    how much are they??

17. :p Yeah, I suppose so. A short scale guitar at that ;).

:confused: No idea. I tried various dealers and Googled furiously, but I couldn't find a thing. I would guess at a street price of around €1,000-1,500 (Euros), which is half to 3/4 of the price of the full size version (Consat Custom).

Anyway, I wasn't thinking of buying one myself - I just wanted to share their existance with a wider, more appreciative audience (i.e. TB :D).

18. This is new to me. Anyone aware of whether the ditty he busts out at about 0:50 has a name, or is it just something he jams? I wanna learn it but if it's already been tabbed, I'll take the lazy route before transcribing it :p

19. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    THis bass is going to expensive. I bet $1500 +
    I email for a quote but haven't heard back yet

20. mech

mech

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Here's a five string, 25 5/8" scale, BEAD, tuned to pitch I built a while back. I just left off everything it didn't need. Sounds like a real one.

Check out the Official Short Scale Club thread. There are some neat instruments posted.

edit: With the right gauge strings, a 21" scale instrument can be tuned to bass pitch and sound fine.
    mech
    MiddlinPanorama.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021