Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

21" speaker!?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masher88, May 8, 2005.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    21"! dang! I've seen these in catalogs, but i can't remember who makes em. Has anyone ever tried out one of these monsters? How is it? Just curious...not gonna try to get one or anything, but it sure piques my curiosity! :D

2. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Good Lord!!!! That is killer! I wonder if those drivers are proprietary or if they buy them "off the shelf"? Have you ever seen anything larger?

3. What does it play like? ive not liked 15's ive played, so that probably wouldnt be my cuppa tea, love the attack of my tens :)

4. It seems to me that these huge drivers have a place in a movie theatre, not on a stage.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not in a cab, but I have spotted that Fostex sell a raw driver (the FW800N) which is 31.5 inches. Though with such a small wattage rating and low x-max, I doubt it would be any good for pro sound applications.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Cabs like the Whappo Grande aren't intended to be used by themselves, they are dedicated subs designed to carry the extreme low end of biamp setup. Unless you play extended range basses that go below a low B you probably would have no use for them.

There are some people on this site that use them though, I belive Jean, the dude with the kick a$$ scary 11 string has one.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Doesn't Al use Madison Hydras with 21s?

8. Sure does.

9. The Beyma SL2150 is an off-the-shelf driver. It looks very close to the specs revealed about the Accugroove. The Beyma wants a 10.5 to 15 cubic foot cabinet, and provides an F3 down to 29 Hz in QB3 tuning (15.2 cubic feet).

This is a big boy, and not terribly practical for portable rigs. You can stuff it into a smaller cabinet, but this results in a mid-bass hump and steep rolloff below the hump. Efficiency is fairly good, hence the large cabinet.