1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

21" subwoofers...!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acquistapace, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Acquistapace

Acquistapace

Feb 28, 2009
    Hey all, I'm pondering having some assinine cabinets drawn up with 21" subwoofers. As a bit of background, I do mostly sludgy drone stuff (think Jucifer, Dark Castle, et cetera) and really wanna reach for that deep earthquake rumble. I'm currently going to be using a Mesa Boogie Strategy 500, though I may end up with a couple old Sunn solid state bass heads, or Acoustic 370s when the dust settles. I'm getting a fantastic deal on the cabs, and I'm really excited... but ignorant, and well ready to admit this.

I know enough to know WHY I want the big speakers, and not the least of which is the audacious visual and nausea inducing lows. I'm reaching out to the more educated, in hopes of being pointed in the right direction to take advantage of this great opportunity :bassist:. Things I'm confused about, in essence:

How much difference does the size of the magnet have? I'm looking at a couple options, but my lead is this'n right here, because of price and a nice frequency response. Any comments? Experiences? Reservations? Cabinet recommendations for dimensions? I should note that I'm on a budget, but I'm willing to wait in order to not have crap. Also, wait and size aren't really issues for me. Thanks a ton, guys! :hyper:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *22hz-4kHz :eek:

**Big, Re-e-eally BIG! :D

The low down on the down low.

3. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Subscribed because I expect pics of the ridiculous rig that will result from this.

4. beware: I once lusted over 21" speakers on here..

Long story short, I found no one to be any help. Everyone was just nasty about it.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The only 21" woofers worth using cost a fortune and require a massive and rigid cab and a massive amp to push them. Precision Devices make a nice neo 21" with 6" voice coil.

Alex

6. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    even very few reggae sound systems use 21 inch for their PA systems, the guys here might help though as they do occasionally use them: www.speakerplans.com

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    In Pro PA Turbosound had a good design using a PD 21 but the 2 X 18 JBL VT4880 subs where far far more efficient for the size and watt's required. :ninja:

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There comes a point where going to a larger driver runs up against the laws of diminishing returns, and that point is fifteen inches. Driver and speaker manufacturers offer drivers larger than fifteen inches and cabs loaded with them not because they work any better, but to fill the demand for them by consumers who think that they'll work better.

9. The 18Sound woofer does not fit your requirements.
    The 21LW1400 is a small box woofer, with a high F3 around 61~72 Hz, depending upon alignment. It is a muscular driver designed to efficient (loud) in a small box. There are much better choices than this driver, for this performance.

10. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    what of the Accugroove Whappo Grande?

total bull?

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You COULD save yourself the trouble and look around for one of the Cerwin-Vega 24" Strokers, or one of the "Earthquake" horn cabinets. They were developed for the movie and will surely give you what you want. Even the 18" Stroker will blow you away.

One of my impulsive friends had TWO of the Strokers for his super home theater setup and almost shook his house off the foundation. Had to cut to one.

12. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    here's my 18" combo!
    ROAD.

13. Acquistapace

Acquistapace

Feb 28, 2009
    With regards to volume and the magnet's capacity to oscillate the speakers, this makes sense to me; but I've been under the impression (and I'm relatively new at live sound, so please correct me if I'm wrong), but capacity for a speaker to present intense degrees of the lowest lows is a combination of cabinet design and speaker size/depth. I may well be totally offbase here; hence my reaching out to the more educated among us. I've done some googling and dug for threads; but I'm a relative n00b and might be missing out on otherwise common resources.

The "Pyle of Poop" comments unfortunately reinforce my concerns about "getting what I pay for," so to speak. As impressive as I'd like the wall to be visually, of course that's not, strictly speaking, why I'm constructing it. I'm not terribly worried about pure volume, so much as deep, wholly sinister lows. This is for a drone metal project mostly, though it follows that I'd potentially use the cabs in a more standard application in a post-punk or industrial metal band. Because of the harsh square-wave tones I'm seeking out, I'm afraid of cheap speakers, but also afraid of not being able to eat after I order these cabs :help::help::help:.

So, there's this guy, who was mentioned earlier (thanks btw!) but is a wee bit pricey (right now), and then there's something a little cheaper here, which might do the job as well, except that its' timid frequency response could potentially neuter any mids it might take. Part of the appeal is that these big guys seem (again, CMIIR) to carry decent mids to go with their bonepeeling lows.

This is the first seriously epic rig I've ever constructed, and I'm hoping to use the talent I have at my disposal to cook something up that's a little more unique than "pile of 4x10s", even as awesome as that may end up being. My other option at this point is just have the guy replicate the old Sunn 412LH cabinets, which I love but always end up outside my price range. I'll probably snag a couple of those from a guy later in the summer to handle the roar; I'd like these guys to randle the rumble.

Anyone who wants to say I'm being retarded, all you have to do is explain and I'll believe you :hyper:. And thanks in advance for all the help I'm getting.

And yeah, there'll be pics, promise :bassist:.

14. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    This is true if you have the room for multiple driver arrays. But if you are limited either cab size, speaker baffles size, or power wise then a single larger diameter driver would trump the smaller driver with excursion being equal. But I do think that billfitzmaurice hit on a VERY valid point. If you can, it's always in your best interest to go with multiple driver arrays over a single HUGE driver if you are able. Remember the cliche "many hands make light work?" It rings true for audio reproduction as well.

Zach

15. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    why not use servodrives?

16. Acquistapace

Acquistapace

Feb 28, 2009
    Even as eccentric as I am, I'm afraid to drop the quid for such beastly critters, and since I run tube power the "never clip ever" rules with those guys kinda scare me. Belt-driven sexiness may not be practical for the van, intense as the speaker may be. Course, I'm n00btastic at this, and I could be wrong. The research continues!:ninja:

17. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    We really need Greenboy here.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Within the operating range of a subwoofer there's no such thing as a square wave. Nearly all of what makes a square wave different from a sine wave lies above 100 Hz, with most of the difference being above 1kHz.