Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

210 + 115, 112 + 115, 112 +112???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Nov 12, 2002.

1. What do these cab combinations sound like in comparison to each other? I am about to buy my first rig and im not entirely sure i know what to get.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The first combination sounds good, the others totally suck. Seriously. You need 10's to get a decent tone. A better combination than any of them would be 210+410.

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    :rolleyes:

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I dunno, I think 210+210 would work just fine. That's been my choice for years now.

5. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    4x10 + 1x15 would be my suggestion. Ok, that is what I'm using anyway and I think many others as well!

6. Canuck

Canuck

Nov 10, 2002
    Calgary Ab. Canada
    What type of music are you playing?

I personally use two 2x10 cabs (easier to carry than a 4x10). I have heard lots of guys play a 2x10 and a 1x15. These tow together give you all the tone from the 10" speakers and the deep thud from the 15".

If your playing rock or reggae consider a 15". If you will be playing anything else I think your better off with the 2x10.

2x12s are fairly new on the market. I had an Eden 1x12 and wasn't impressed with it. Try playing one, or better yet see if the store will let you rent each one for a week and play them.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yup, that's good too. It's got 10's.

Yup, yup, yup ... there's 10's in there, too.

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I would love to try a 4x10 with 4x12s.. just to add the more lomids from the 4x12s..

DM

9. I wouldn't buy any of those combinations. 10 years ago I sunk some money into a big rig. Hartke 4.5XL (4x10) + Hartke 115XL. ( Hartke was the sh!t back then) I stacked them up and bi-amped it with a per-amp/power-amp setup. After I tired of lugging all this sh!t around I started using the 4.5 (4x10) with a smaller power-amp and never needed anything more. A good 4x10 cab is all most people will ever need. 2 x 4 x 10 cabs is all anybody should ever need.

10. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    As of late I have been playing through a 112 ontop of a 115. Nice small cabinets. Powered by a SWR preamp into a QSC PLX 1202 bridged. A wonderful easily moved kick butt system. It sounds very good.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    210 + 115

Big low end (unless its Bag End), lots of definition from the 210s, bright top end and a kinda scooped feeling.

112 + 115

TONS of low end fatness, blurry mids, not much note definition, but lots of boom.

112 + 112

warm, tight, sound, but not a ton of note definition. this is the combo I personally use because no Munji, i don't LIKE the sound of 10's.

Why are you set on getting 2 cabs?

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey Munji, I have a TE 7210 (combo 2x10) driving a TE 1048 (4x10).. would that count and make me special? :p

13. I was thinking about just getting a 4X10, but wouldnt that be harder to move? Can it fit into an average car trunk?

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    usually the same weight as a 1x15 or a little heavier... yes it will fit in a regular sized car trunk

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You really have that condescension thing down cold;)

IME the best rig for me is my current one, a compact 15 and a high power 1-12 w/horn. You might notice there's no 10 in this rig. That's because they're not needed IMO. I've played the same rig Munji has pictured here several times before and it's okay but hardly up to what I'm using now... especially being twice the size and weight. The kicker is my rig was $650 complete.

Play what "you" like...

or you can believe in made up minimum requirements;)

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You're talking about big 15's... there are several small ones available that IMO sound better than the big ones. For example I used to own a Trace Elliott 1-15 that was indeed as big as a 410. In hindsight, sonically it was weak. OTOH I loaded a Yorkville 115BX (slightly bigger than the speaker itself) with an EV driver and it hit amazingly hard and had very nice mids and highs. Combined with the right cab, it's a beautiful thing:D

That TE cab probably wouldn't fit in a typical car truck.

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
  18. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    What car? An average 4x10 will easily fit into any station wagon or hatchback, I believe. I have a sedan and the 4x10 barely fits into the back seat. The trunk is too shallow.

19. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    For many years I thought that only 15's could produce really good bass. Then the speaker mavens put a lot of effort into 10's, and they got really good. A couple years ago I had a 210 and a 410.

More recently, the speaker mavens have re-discovered 12's. Ed Friedland converted to a pair of 1x12's a couple of years back and I didn't believe him at first, how good he said they were, but he was right. Now I have two pairs of 1x12s, Bergantinos and Epifanis. They ain't cheap, but this is one of those cases where you do actually get what you pay for. A pair of Bergantino 1x12's is really all you need unless you are playing loud rock and not running the bass through a big PA. A pair of Epifani 1x12's has as much booty as I will ever need, not quite as refined a sound as the Bergantinos but bigger. With a 1200 watt amp, at about 8 feet away, the Epifanis will do the shake-your-chest/diaphragm thing that 8x10's are famous for.

I use a pair of 1x12s where I used to use the 410 and they sound great, especially in a smaller room, and especially for stage sound on a small stage. I find modern 12s to be a good compromise between the punch of 10s and the deep booty of 15s. And a pair of 1x12s is easy to tote around.