210 + 115, which company?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Jan 4, 2003.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I play a 5-string, through a BDDI and a Hartke 3500 (I'm gonna buy a Carvin DCM1000 power amp soon) and play mainly rock. I'm trying to get a two cab setup. I like a tight sound but I need to have the cabs handle the low B.

Which of these cab combinations do you think is best for rock. Please give me your opinion any of these combinations or single cab that you've tried or own.

Avatar B210 + B115 or 2 B210 cabs
    Ampeg SVT210 + 115
    Hartke 210XL + 115XL
    Hartke 212 (I don't know the exact model name)

Any help is appreciated...
  2. stay away from hartke speakers. I dont know why I say this but from what I heard with the aluminum cones cracking and ****, just stay away from them. you can get the avatars for les and get about 2x or more power handling from those speakers. I'm personally thinking of buying an Avatar 2x10 or 1x15 as a temporary standalone unit until I can afford a 2nd cab and Im thinking of the hartke 3500. I like the Hartke tone, but I dont like their speakers.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You may also want to look into Bag End cabinets.
  4. ok...Now you done gone and done it!!:D Eminence manufactures the speakers for Hartke, as far as a friend of mine found out...And the main reason people crack the cones is because they're careless...When you play with a speaker cabinet with the Aluminum cones, you can't shove it, but you can push it pretty hard, the cones naturally give it a bright cutting sound...I'd go with the 2.5XL +15XL, because of the added high end driver, those and the 4.5XL's, which were used by Stu Hamm, I read...Sound nice nice nice...When it's cold, and you've got those speakers, you don't just turn on and play, gotta get the cones warm first, or they'll shatter...Other than shattering because of cold, I've never heard anything about the cones shattering like that...

The DCM1000 with that will put a nice whompin on a gig, man...You can get 700W bridged at 4 ohms, or 225X2 running stereo...Killer

Vote:210XL or 2.5XL and 15XL

5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    the company you should go with is whichever one sounds best to your ears.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've shattered Hartke cones......and it's warm here:D
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I was once told by a very reputable tech in the area that the reason hartke speakers tend to fail is because the cones cant breathe and expand the way paper cone speakers can. So the aluminum starts to crack at the creases and eventually gives out, where as the paper ones absorb the shock better.

Despite that IMO Hartke cabs sound very good. And like I said, its your ears and your money, buy what sounds best to you.

Also fwiw, my friend has a 1410 combo and has had to send it back twice to be reconed.
  8. My Avatar B210 / B115 combination KILLS.
  9. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    your opinions and advice were really helpful.

Thanks again.