Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

210/410/gk/hartke?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flamer, Oct 21, 2002.

1. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    Hey there,

A quick naive question for you all. Why are most 2x10 cabs rated lower than 4x10's? surely if i put a 200w 210 with a 410 running from a 400w head it would damage the speaker?

Sorry if this is a horribly obvious question, but i'm just learning about all this!

and which is better, a hartke vx410 or a Gallien backline 410? (which is also £120 more!).

thanks,
    phil.

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hey flamer.

Some friendly advice about TB.

1) Each post should probably ask one question
    2) Try to be as clear and to the point as you can.
    3) "Which is better?" is a highly subjective question. More specific criteria i.e "which is better for metal?" will usually get you more responses.

q:Why are most 2x10 cabs rated lower than 4x10's?

a: The rating for a cab is usually the sum of the speakers. So, if the cab has 2 100watt speakers, it is a 200 watt cab. If it has 4, then it would be 400 watts ;)

q: if i put a 200w 210 with a 410 running from a 400w head it would damage the speaker?

a: probably not, as long as you are careful not to clip, and you stay within the impedance rating of your amp. Which amp and cabs are you referring to?

3. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    oops, sorry,

that was only my second post on a forum!

ok, so if a 4x10 cabinet was 400watts, that would be in reference to 4 100watt speakers?

I play distorted indierock stuff and i'm currently looking at either the hartke vx410 or the gk backline 410 to use through my hartke 4000 head.

thanks for your time, any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

-p.

4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    The vx series by hartke are okif you like xtra low volume. I'd have to say the same for the gallien. My oppinion, save your pennies or (something someone else would eventually say) Go Avatar.

5. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    thing is, i live in the uk, and from research thus far i only seem to have a limited choice of speaker brands (hartke, peavey, GK) unless i spend a huge amount of money on a Ampeg.

HELP!!

-p.