1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

210 Cab on the floor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by growler571, Mar 14, 2009.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Will it sound ok if I add a 210 to my gallien krueger 700RB 115 combo, if I put it under my combo instead of having the 210's on the top? The problem is I want a 210, and 115 setup but the fan is located on the top of my combo, and if i put it on top of the combo i am afraid the fan will not get enough ventalation to properly cool the amp. However I feel the 115 should be naturaly closest to the floor to get proper lowend response. All thoughts and opinions welcome.

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    You could simply place it on top with a couple of pieces of wood underneath it to raise it sufficiently for the fan to be able to "breathe". Two small lengths of 2 x 1 would be sufficient - you can always paint then black to improve cosmetics.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    You might get better low end response from a 2x10 anyway, depending on which one you get, particularly with the smaller cubic feet in a typical attached combo amp cab.

If you still want the 15 on the bottom, just place your combo amp on it's side. If it's really all about the sound, you shouldn't care that it looks a little goofy. I've seen several 2x10 Markbass combos set up like that, and it don't seem to hurt anything. I think it looks kind of cool, function over form and all that....

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The low frequency output of the two cabs will couple and they'll act as one, so the low end response will be identical either way. But the added midrange extension of the 2x10 is wasted if it's down on the floor where you can't hear it. Put the 2x10 on top, vertically aligned, and use spacers of some sort to allow the fan sufficient clearance.

5. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I like both cabs on the floor. Elevated bass cabs almost always bug me & they bleed into the vocal mikes like crazy.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    You've only changed the frequency balance of the signal that would be bleeding - and now there are more early reflections muddling the signal. As a sound engineer I can get a less muddy, more articulate sound if the bleed is more coherent to start with.

But truthfully, if you have excessive mic bleed problems you need to look at placement of backline and mics, rig EQ, stage levels.

7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    +1. Bill's got it.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1

Audio Lumber! I have several short lengths of 1x2 and 2x2 wood painted flat black. They're light enough to pack a few with my stuff, and when I need one it really comes in handy. There are several more in the PA kit.

I had several feet of old redwood 2x2 around; it's nearly as light as balsa yet still solid.