Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

210 cab with good highend response?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ihixulu, Jan 14, 2004.

1. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Here's the deal,

I own an Aguilar GS410 which I love BUT for some gigs I need to run a distortion box fulltime which makes using the tweeter undesirable. With the tweeter off, I find the cab too dark, to an extent that not even turing up the treble on my SWR head gets me the top end I want.

I also own an Electrovoice 210 cab loaded with 10bx's and no horn and the highs from this cab are excellent and becasue there is no horn it handles distortion/fuzz very well. Alas, it is only a 210 so there is a limit to how loud it can get.

Since it appears that the 10bx's are discontinued, are there other speakers or cabs out there that have good high end response above 4-5k without the need for a horn? Not trying to communicate with bats so 20k is not needed...

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Keeping in mind that a higher quality tweeter may not sound as piercing with your distortion, AND keeping in mind that you can always turn the tweeter(s) down, the two cabs that come most readily to mind for me are the new EA NL-210 and the Epifani T-210UL. Both use neo drivers, and are very lightweight, and both should sound great even with the tweeter off (I have heard the Epi, but not the new EA).

Another, albeit larger, possibility is a VL-210. Even though these cabs have two midrange drivers and a tweeter, I leave them on even with a heavily overdriven signal. Same goes for my Epifani and Accugroove cabs (leaving the tweeters on, that is). Granted, the tweeters on my Eden, Mesa Boogie, Ashdown and Peavey cabs would probably sound horrible under the same circumstances.

Tom.