Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

210 cabinet question Eden vs Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8_finger, Jun 5, 2002.

1. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I need litlle help with deciding which cabinet to buy I've narrowed the decision to two cabinets
    Eden 210XLT and Aguilar GS210.
    I know that there is large similarity between those two cabinets so my questions are following:

1. Can each one of them handle the low B efficiently or which one handles it better?

2. What is the sound difference between these cabinets? (this question is here because I'm not in position to compare the two - the nearest shop with both cabinets is some 1000 km away in Germany)

Currently I'm in a jazz trio (drums+guitar+bass) and we are not loud band so I don't need lots of volume. Amp will probably be a Fender bassman 135 or Orange (also tube).Bass is Yamaha TRB-5.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive never played an Aguilar, but I do know that the Eden does a beautiful job with the lows.

I have played their combo, and the Eden sounds great on the low B.

Peace
    Nick

3. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    On the other side of that, I tried the Aguilar 210, comparing it to the Aguilar 112. I found the 112 far richer and deeper than the 210.

I, too, am interested in the Eden 210XLT.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think you should get a Aguilar 2x12. It has the punchiness/quickness of 10s, but with alot more fullness. Not muddy at all. It is honestly the greatest cabinet I've ever tried. Otherwise get the GS2x10.:D

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    To my ears, both cabs sound like they've fallen from the same tonal tree with that slight lower mid push in both of them. But, the aggie's gonna have more a hifi airy finesse, while the eden has a more aggressive voice that either inspiring or fatiguing. and picking up both, the aguilar is noticibly lighter.

IMHO, 2x10s dont quite have enough natural low end in them for me. But, i gotta say Bergantino 2x10s are the deepest sounding of most. specs wise, it says it goes down to 36hz while aguilar's only go to 42hz. sure this is manufacturer specs, but playing them side by side, the Bergantino does sound much deeper.

since you're doing a jazz combo, i cant but help recommend a 1x12. the tone's more balanced across the spectrum, and the lows have a more natural fuller voicing.

i'm kinda in the same boat as you with my jazz combo except i've also done a neo-soul gig with moderately loud drummer/keys/singer/me. using my Aguilar 1x12 in small lounges, the tone was great. With either my Aguilar 1x12 or Bergantino 1x12, the low B on my Elrick was meaty and growly! my Azola Bugbass II also sounded best thru a 1x12. good low definition that was airy yet thumpy. give one a try while doing your 2x10 shopping, and see for yourself.

6. Bassfrog

Bassfrog

Jun 2, 2002
    I would say Eden. I've got the same combo and it sounds really great. Great low ends and puchy peaks. You don't have to worry about the low B.
    It's a great feeling in your belly, when you're groovin around!

7. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I run an Eden WT300 with a 210XLT and a Bag End S15D and get a very nice sound with 5 string basses,although I've never gigged with any Aguilar cabs.The 210XLT goes lower than any other 210 I've ever heard except the Acme B2,but it is way louder than the Acme.We played on an open stage the other night and they were telling us to turn down.I wasn't running through any PA,either.

8. Bassfrog

Bassfrog

Jun 2, 2002
    THAT'S WHAT I MEAN

9. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    First of all I would like to thank everyone on replies.

Thanks for the tip on Aguilar GS112. I was considering this cab. but I've red threads on this forum that it takes two of them to release their full potential. But if anybody has thoughts on that cab. I'm interested.
    Also concerning the 112 cab. my toughts are in the line that rig with a 210 as a start cab. is easier to upgrade with another 210 or 115. cab., but 112 rig is (I think) only upgradable by another 112 so question is: are 2 X 112 as good as 2 X 210 or 210+115. I know this question is a matter of taste but I need all the help I can get before I spend my money.

Chris Braddock wrote about GS212 - I'm sure this is a great cab. but the price of one exceeds my budget of 950€.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    To bad you can't get the 2x12. It is a realy sweet cab. If you don't plan on playing in anything louder than a small jazz combo, the 1x12 might be loud enough. I've seen alot of guys use a single GS1x12 with DB for jazz gigs. Another option is you could get a 2x10 and then add a 2x12 under it later! That would be a truly awesome rig.

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You can ad a 210 to a 112 Aguilar by stacking the 210 on the side. I read Bassplayer mag uses that setup. Dont know how it will sound.

12. That's my set-up! Aguilar 2x10 and 2x12. It is truly awesome. I got the 2x12 first to replace a 4x10, but found I needed a couple of 10s to get the tone I wanted.

13. I don't use my 5 string that much anymore, but I found out last year while preparing to play a Navy Pier in Chicago, that the Eden 210xlt that I still own did not sound very good on it's own outside on the B. I took my rig outside to see how far it would project. It sounded real good about 8 to 10 ft. away. As I went out to 15 and 20 25 ft it really started to FART on the B. I tried adjusting the settings, but it never did sound good until I hooked up the 15" cab with it. This is not your application, but I thought it might somehow be useful. The Eden is a nice cab, that's why I kept it and got rid of the 410xlt which I found the bottom end harder to control. The Edens tend to have a lower midrange growl.

14. The GS112 a great stand-alone cab in most lower volume situations. I have 2,but I play in a rock band. I would think that it would be best complimented by a 2nd GS112,but that's not a bad thing. They are very portable and relatively inexpensive. And unlike a 210,you don't have to worry about getting a bigger cab to fill it out. 12's sound big and fat by themselves.
    I have to agree that a GS112 is a great jazz cab. Especially in a lower volume situation.
    But,Bassplayer has said that the 210xlt is the BADDEST 210 around. I've owned them and must agree.

15. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you all on your advice.

As for 112 I would probably prefer it to the 210 but I don't know what gigs I'll be playing in future - it will be probably small clubs, but who knows - 2 weeks ago my band had outdoor gig on big stage. I think that 210 has more pontential for handeling different situations than the 112. But I might be wrong.
    I think I'll stick with the 210 cab. and when I get the funds I'll search for addition to the rig.
    I'll try to get the GS210. Based on the replies you gave me I think it is closer to the sound I'm aiming at.

But right now all directions are still open (I didn't order anything yet).

16. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Definitely go for 2 GS112's over a single 210. Or start with a single 112 and get a second one when the cash permits.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    finger,

fyi, a pair of 1x12's will easily compete with a pair of 2x10s or a single 4x10, and IMHO, maybe even with a 2x10 & 1x15 setup. but they all sound different, so try what you can first, then buy the brand that you like the most.

in my comparison shopping, a dual 12" setup has a more balanced response and tone, but still have just enough punch to cut thru. a pair of 2x10's has the toughest punch, with low end to spare, but also have a compressed tightness that feels constricting for my playing. a 2x10 & 1x15 setup sounds great with the lows from the 15", but it feels unbalanced in terms of tone and feel for me.

but again, this is just MHO. :D

18. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think you'll be happy with the GS2x10

19. 8_finger

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Again I thank all on help.
    Right now for me what is bugging me is if I can get the cab I want to my country. Right now I'm in the phase of contacting people who are aquiring musical equipment to my country. I'll see what I can get and then I shall decide.

thanks to all the people for help with the gear

P.S.
    If I can get epifani 112 is it that(300€) much better than the ag. 112?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Epi's 1x12 is much clearer sounding than the aguilar. maybe even deeper feeling. but its not gonna have that syrupy tone in the low mids. rather it'll be sweeter and much more articulate.