1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

210...Genz Benz or Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Malachi71, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I have a choice between buying a Genz Benz 210T-XB (not an XB2) or an Avatar 210 neo. Any suggestions on which one would have better low end, more articulate mids, and smoother highs? Both have a Foster horn but the crossovers are probably different.

2. I have no experience with GB cabs but from what I've heard they are very good. It appears their 12" offerings really shine. However, I do use Avatar B212 w/ a B210 on the way and I could not be happier with my tone. Once you consider their "cost" they are a fantastic deal. I'm sure with either set up you would be pleased. I have heard opinions that the Avatar horn is a bit harsh, i have mine dialed out so no opinion there. You can't try Avatar but perhaps there is somewhere you could put the GB through its paces?

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    what is the application? what amp are you pairing it with? are you pairing it with extra cabs?

The avatar makes a great addition to a 2x12, 1x15, etc.

There is also the option of the Genz Benz Neo cabs. I am interested in how a GB NeoX 210T pairs with a GB NeoX 212T.

4. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Currently, I have a Yamaha PB1 preamp running into a Carvin DCM 1000. I do not have any extra cabs but would consider 2 small cabs

5. Mudshark23

Mudshark23

Jan 31, 2008
    SEATTLE
    here is one for you, i bought a used genz benz 212 neo two years ago. sounded pretty good until i blew up the speakers in it after 4 months. (just a little aside, i was running too much juice into the cab, so it was not a design flaw on GB's part or anything like that)
    i contacted GB for prices for replacement speakers, and thought the price was a bit high. i hit up Dave at avatar, and he sold me a pair of the eminence neo 12's that he puts in his cabs for under 80 bucks each.
    the result: it's a bit louder, and sounds a little better overall with the avatar neos in it, and is about 5 pounds lighter.
    while i love the GB box as a stand alone cab, i have to say that the avatar speakers sound better. i would definitely go with avatar before GB. better bang for your buck.
    at least that's what i think...

6. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    It's funny you mention Eminence. I believe Genz Benz uses Eminence speakers in their cabs.

7. Mudshark23

Mudshark23

Jan 31, 2008
    SEATTLE
    both GB and Avatar use custom eminence neo's, but with slightly different specs. i don't know all the details but i think the avatar ones have a wider range of motion (draw? Xmax? not sure what the technical term is offhand).

regardless of the specs, IMO the avatar ones sounded marginally better than the stock GB ones, were way cheaper, and to be totally honest i had a much better customer service experience at Avatar regarding my speaker inquiries. but i am from wisconsin where nice counts.

all that aside, the fact is you are going to drop at least $750 for a new GB cab (+ shipping/tax) and the avatar is going for $319 + $42 for shipping (which is still less than what i bought my GB for used). tone might be debatable, but similar or better performance at less than half the price is kind of hard to argue with.

i know my next three cabs are going to be avatar based on my experience. those guys rock, Dave has built up a great little company!!! plus the new colored tolex is super sexy ;)

8. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    If you go with the Avatar I would go with there 212 cab, I have heard plenty of them and they are pretty decent.
    A friend of mine actually uses a Behringer head:eek: with the Avatar 212 cab and I hate to say it but he makes that rig sound great :meh:

9. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    When I originally posted this thread, I was referring to a non-neo Genz Benz 2x10T XB vs. a Neo Avatar B210. I wanted suggestions as to which cab would produce more rounded lows, more articulate mids, and smoother highs. Can someone chime in on these two specific cabs. The price is about the same. The Genz Benz has been lightly used and is selling for $250 and is in excellent shape. A very compatible dollar amount compared to the Avatar.