Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

210 or 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeddyisGod, Mar 11, 2004.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Which do you think is better and why.

I'm basically looking for two things; which gives you more volume at the same wattage, and which would be the better mate for a 212. Avatar users encouraged to reply, because that's what I have (212) and what I plan to get (210 or the new sb 115 when it comes out).

2. I used to use an Avatar 2x10 with a 1x15 but I moved to a single 4x10. I would say that the 2x10 will seem louder. This is because it will make your tone more punchy and cut through, where as 15's are usualy bassy and boomy. You have the low end covered with your 2x12, so the best way to even out low end with punch and clarity it to add a 2x10 in my opinion. Adding a 4x10 would be awsome and it would make you a little louder, also push more air. Id definatly at least go with a 2x10 though, unless you are a total thumpy booms lowend kind of person.

3. I've used an Avatar 2x12 (500 Watts RMS @ 4 ohm) for a while until I received my Euphonic Audio CXLs (also 12").

With the 12" you have the best of both worlds. The low end of a 15" and still the crispiness of a 10". And the Avatar sounds very good and is pretty compact. You should give it a try.

:bassist:

4. Get another 212?

/loves his B212

5. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Another 212 would be too much in terms of space and weight. I want the smaller cab for rehersals, in addition to drawing the full power from my head when I go all out.

4 12's would be nice though. :hyper:

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Then, get the 210.

7. Then get the 1x12 with the 4 ohm Eminence Delta and the foster horn. The eminence has 500 Watts RMS and handles my low A (I D-tune) with ease.

The best $200.00ish bucks I've spent.

8. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Can't do a 4 ohm cab without buying a new head. I plan on doing that anyway, but not untill I really need to and even then I'd like to stick with something that puts out its optimum power at 4 ohms. I am beginning to consider the 8 ohm version of the new Avatar 112, but at the moment I'm leaning toward the 210.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Get the 2x10". It will fill in missing upper midrange frequencies of the 2x12". You already have the depth of a 15 with the 2x12's. The 210 is a better match.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I would get the 210. I think they are generally a bit louder and more power capable than a similarly designed 115. Also for a standalone the 210 is my favorite cab to use. Best all-in-one speaker!

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ya know,, one thing I forgot to ask when I originally replied,,, how many strings are you using?

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My vote is for the 210, even if you're playing a 5 string. You'll cut through more on stage, where you need more punch than rumble. Your 212 should handle the rumble just fine.

13. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    At the moment I use a 4-string, but for one of my "projects" I detune to a drop-C format.