1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

210 with a 212? Good idea??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Mar 9, 2010.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've got a Carvin BR510N 210 combo coming and I'd eventually like to pair it with a 212 extension cabinet. Do 210's and 212's go well together?

2. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    It depends on the particular cabinets you'll be using. It's a crapshoot whether mixed cabinets like that will work well. You could avoid the potential for not-so-great sound and just get a matching 210.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    This is the general consensus around TB and it makes sense...find a cab you like the sound of and double it. There is no guarantee that the 2x12 will sound deeper than the 2x10, and it will probably be louder than the 2x10 and could potentially overwhelm, negating any positive effects it could add to your tone.

Of course, people have been mixing and matching cabs for years happily, so who's to say? You could experiment and find its exactly what you want. But, matching cabs is more of a sure bet to work well than mixing different cab configurations.

4. mixing cabs is generally a bad idea.

5. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Audio scientists.

6. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    So, it'd probably be a better idea to get another Carvin 210 cab?

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Which is why I agreed with you. It doesn't mean that the 210/212 combo WON'T work well together (sometimes they do), just that matching cabs is less risky and more likely to work better for the OP.

Yup, especially if you like the tone of the 2x10 and want that same tone, only louder.

8. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I have a 210 and 212 stacked on top of eachother and LOVE the sound; but I also think the ceramic and neodymium combination I have is part of the magic.

If it sounds good; use it.

9. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    its a crapshoot, you may want to consider doubling the 2 10 or going for a 15" combo 12s sometimes work with other sizes but often dont from what ive seen. I guess 10s and 15s or 18s have such a cone area difference that they really show a difference in bottom and top end

10. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring this spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    My experience with such a match:

Eden D212XLT 4 ohm + Eden D210XST 4 ohm = great thunderous match. In this configuration D210XST resides at bottom of stack.

Eden D212XLT 4 ohm + Eden D210XLT 8 ohm = good thunder + midrange match. In this configuration D212XLT resides at bottom of stack.

These cabinets are all similar in stated efficiency rating, likely adding to match viability.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you like the sound of one you'll like the sound of two even more. You may like the sound of a 210 and 212. You may not. There's no way to predict it.
    Mixing cabs is like mixing drinks. Some combinations work OK, some work great, some really suck. So if you've got a bottle of Jack Daniels and fill your glass half full what should you fill the other half with? Soda? 7 Up? Tequila? Diet Kool-Aid? Red Bull? You may love the result, you may hate it. IMO just fill it the rest of the way with Jack Daniels and you can't go wrong.

12. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    cant tell till you try it, but i think mixed cabs always sound better.i have a 115 under my 210 and now dont like to use either alone, something always seems missing.

13. I think there are some acoustical arguments for why it may not work. But there are also acoustical arguments for why any cabinet with a lip on it has terrible dispersion.
    I put a lot of this in the same category as "capacitor tone". Some techs have told me there is no difference between two electrically identical caps. Having heard what a tantalum vs a poly cap does for a Stingray I disagree. But that is an extreme example. Most electrically similar caps sound enough alike to be indistinguishable.
    Most combinations of cabs sound okay.
    One of the best bass tones I ever heard anyone get was a fella that had a 2x10 and a 2x12. Of course he worked at Meyer Sound labs so his 2x12 was not your ordinary 2x12. His Musicman Sabre was also pitching in as well.

When all this acoustic stuff comes in to play is when your amp is just not cutting it in a live situation. Thats when you start shaking everything to see what rattles, whats fixable, what can be swapped out for a larger, louder, deeper version.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    cal, that's exactly right. the acoustic stuff comes into play when you are not happy with your rig. if you're happy, no problem. but if you're not, many problems can be fixed simply by learning a little about acoustic science.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020