1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$2100 for a 77 fretless P-Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Jun 19, 2007.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  2. I won't buy a fretless without trying it out first if it's not a Lakland. I have a Lakland 55-02 and it's the best fretless that I've played. I've played Modulus,Fender,EBMM,Warwick, and Carvin fretless basses. None of them compare to the Lakland. Incredible sustain and tone.

3. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    you are looking at a non-american market though so prices would differ.

4. $2100 for a mass-produced $300 beater? Only if you're a trophy collector or investor. You can buy a fine handmade instrument for that kind of money.

5. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    can we please stop it with these threads? Thats the market baby....I would have said more like $1800, but you are in a far away land now...(saw one go for that price here in Manhattan last year)

the rest of you need to stop whining about vintage Fender prices (anything prior to 79 now, really, plus the Fullertons from a few years later)

Thats the price, thats the market, live with it, deal with it, stop whining about it....

:(

6. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I agree with the last post. Plus, those old maple-board fretless P's are seriously cool.

7. I think we'd be better served if we "stop it" with the threads that perpetuate the concept that these outdated mass-produced beaters are worth their grossly inflated prices.

It's all a matter of perception. The posts from "vintage" icon worshippers and trophy collectors are legion. It's only fair that their counterpoint be given an equal opportunity.

Perhaps, if more people speak up, these crude used basses will be seen in a clearer light and the bogus "mojo" factor will be perceived as the beanie-baby styled subterfuge it really is.

You can use the "supply and demand" cliche to sell exotic bat guano, but in the end it's just another flavor of manure.;) That's the beauty of an open discussion; hearing both sides of an issue. If you're thin-skinned, you can always skip the posts that you don't agree with.

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ah yes, an old Fender thread is never a thread until Debased comes along an poops all over it.
    You don't like the market. So what....

9. If answering the OP's question with something other than blind obedience to the church-of-Fender rules of conduct is "pooping all over" (Very eloquent, BTW. Fits your moniker to a tee ;)), I can live with that.

10. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    forums need alternative perspectives or else we'll all just be mindless players praising what the masses deem to be awsome.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'm going to ignore the pot stirring posts by those who would like to deny the existence of a vintage market.

I don't know how to judge the fact that this is in a foreign market, but in the US market, this bass is over valued.

The extra holes and wear in the headstock would put it out of the 2K running in my estimation for a late 70's P. For 2K it would have to be in MUCH better shape. I also think that from the poor pictures, the finish looks suspect to me. Now, a nice birds eye board would add to the value of the piece, but in that shape, etc. I don't think its worth more than 1500, and I would think 1200 to 1500 would be reasonable.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Debased ignores reality. The market IS what it IS, and if you want to buy an original Fender in that market, you pay the price. I agree that the vintage Fender market is higher than it should be, but that's reality. Deal with it. The definition of what something is worth is: what someone will pay for it.

If you don't want to pay for a vintage Fender bass, buy one of the re-issue series. You'll get a solid instrument at a better price.

The early Fenders are not "crude" or "mass produced $300 beaters". They were mass produced, but that's a simple fact of manufacturing, not a point of criticism. By the same token, my '66 GTO today would be a "piece o'junk mass produced Detroit $3700 marketing ploy". Just try to buy a clean GTO for less than 5 to 10 times the original price. The market is what it is.

When it comes to old Fender basses there are certainly good ones and not so good ones, but that's no reason to condemn the brand, nor to deny reality when it comes to the market value of an instrument.

Edited to add: Jim Carr's post motivated me to say that the photos in the auction absolutely stink, and there's no way to really evaluate the condition of the instrument from them. I'm no expert on resale either, but I'd want to know a lot more about the instrument's condition - and I'd want an expert to check the neck, pots, body and finish to confirm that it's 100% original - before spending that much.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

This is good advice, IMHO.

If maple board fretless 70's P-basses are your thing (and I know for some souls, they are IT), I'd keep looking and get one in better cosmetic condition. Also, the pictures are so grainy that it is hard to assess the instrument except to say it might be what it is supposed to be, and it is sorta beat up. However, they are fairly rare, and even though not the most desireable vintage fretless P for many fretless players, they are hard to find. :confused:

Have you played a Tony Franklin??? :hyper:
    They are good basses. They cost ~$1600 new in the USA.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...retless-Precision-Bass?sku=516048&src=3WFRWXX

14. J-BassJarhead

J-BassJarhead

Jun 7, 2007
    i dont buy basses online, i like to try em out

15. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Can we please stop with these whiny posts about whining that are nothing but whining? If you don't like whiny posts don't make them and just accept that others don't think $300 beater basses should cost what a car does because it has the right decal.

Irony, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

16. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Amen brother. Unfortunately you can't teach a fanboy to think.

17. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    If only you could see your own advice as something that might also apply to your posts. Attacking a poster for his opinion is childish and it doesn't alleviate any of the fear & anger you're experiencing. If you're confident in your tastes and paying thousands for that good for you. If you're not confident try to attack anyone who disagrees.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'm with BurningSkies on this one. Maybe add a slight premiupm because it's in a forighn market.

19. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021