Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2112 all over again

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Apr 20, 2005.

1. It was my first Rush cd and it's not really my favorite anymore. It's hard to compete with Moving Pictures or Hemispheres. But listening to it now (and playing along to it... still remember how!) it's just amazing. In particular, 2112 the song is great. I've been listening to albums as a whole lately as opposed to a song by song basis. How fitting that 2112 sounds like a complete work, with recurring themes. It's so simple, but the amazing bass playing and layered guitars just give it an amazing sound. Great cd!

EDIT: The rest of the cd is better crafted than I once imagined. I just ear-played my way through the Twilight Zone, an old favorite, and it's just so cool. The soft, slow solo at the end with the cool bass fills... too great.

2. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    That it is! I learned 2112 Overture a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to get the vocals down to. (Trying!) One of the funnest songs to play along with, all 20 minutes of it! :D

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Strangely, I don't like the title track, it's got too many weak spots for me. But the rest of the album blows my mind. Incredible stuff.

4. Hmm, I always found 2112 to have a strong title track and a rather weak "B" side compared to some later albums. But the more I listen, the more I'm liking those songs.

5. As much as I love Rush, I would never wear a kimono and blue eye-shadow. Thats just gay ;)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Best. Post. Ever.

7. he did what now? :oops:

8. njdenis1

njdenis1

Dec 12, 2004
    i think being an ugly bastard and dressing lame is a small price to play for playing a mean bass and singing bad ass..thats my opinion

9. The real hidden gem on 2112 is "Lessons". Of all Geddy's great bass lines, that one probably influenced me the most.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    + 1,000,000

:D

...no one ever mentions that song, but it's my favorite on the whole record!

11. What about Tears? Beautiful song, I believe the only Rush song to feature a mellotron, thus bestowing upon it a haunting, faded melancholy... :bawl:

Anyone here tried that Willy Wonka/2112 synch thing? Pretty funny if you have the time but don't expect any mind-blowing!

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's hard to find a decent mellotron player round here... or anywhere.

DAMMIT I WANT A MELLOTRON!!

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mine too!

14. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! You indeed sir have a sick sense of humor! :D

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    LOL!!!!!!!! You indeed sir have a sick sense of humor :D

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The last two posts freak my out... I get a vibe of "the twins" from The Shining...

17. thephilosopher

thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    does anyone notice the similarities between "lessons" and "ramble on" by zep??

18. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    The similarities don't suprise me at all. Rush started out as a killer Led Zeppelin cover band prior to going all original.