1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

212 and 410 together

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yeldarb69 (Brad), Mar 18, 2013.

1. yeldarb69 (Brad)

yeldarb69 (Brad) Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I posted this in the GK section and decided to post it here to possibly get more views. I was thinking about running a 410 cabinet with a 212 cabinet and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this setup? If so what are some of the benefits of it and are these two cabinets sonically a good match for each other.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Totally depends on the actual cabs you intend to use. No way to answer unless someone here has run them. Can't generalize about it. Might be great. Might suck.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    For a good while I used a Mesa PH 410 and 212 stack. It worked out fine and looked cool on stage. The cabs are pretty similarly voiced with only slight differences. If I went full stack again though I'd do 2x 410.

4. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    GK 1001

410 Neo
    212 Neo

They sound good to me together regardless of the opinions of mixing drivers. The two cabs are very different sounding alone. Much more low end with the 410.

I will agree that a 410 with a 115 wastes the volume potential of the 410. I messed around with that speaker combination full range and bi-amped. Bi-amped was better because I could even out the volume of the cabs--- but again-not worth the trouble.

5. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    A little different, but for awhile I had a Genz Uber 212 and Uber 410...sounded great as individual cabs but I was never able to make them right together...the 212 on top was the best combo, but still not what I was after...not sure if that transfers over to the GK cabs though, so take it with a grain of salt :)

6. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I also have run a 410 (Avatar) and a 212 (Eden) and it sounds great . . . I prefer a 210/212 (both Eden) combination, and do not like the 410/115 combination . . . tho that may be nothing more than the need to EQ my ears!

7. yeldarb69 (Brad)

Jul 11, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the input so far.In case anyone is wondering,i will be using gk neo cabinets.I already have 2 212s and a 412 but was thinking of adding a 410 for something different.I will be running them with a fusion 550 or 700rbII.

8. I would guess that the 412/212 combo would work, given the same brand/line.
    Sounds to me like you aren't quite happy with your sound and you are hoping that a 410 will change it up in a positive way.
    Don't be fooled into thinking that 10's will give you a 'snappier' sound or something. Doesn't work that way. But if you must...
    Just give it a shot!
    If it doesn't work, sell it.

9. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I have used an Avatar B212 with an Eden XLT410 and thought it sounded sweet. The 212 seemed just a bit more 'round' and slightly warmer (though they sounded quite similar to everyone who heard them). So I ran the 212 on the bottom. The 410 was not quite as wide and it was deeper so it didn't match size-wise, but it sat OK. I ran it again after asking questions about this 'phasing' thing with mismatched speakers and moving around the room there was never anywhere it sounded weird or where it suddenly got lost. So I'd have no problem trying an Avatar 410 to go on top of my B212. Dunno about GK, but I'm betting it'd sound killer.

10. I ran an Avatar 410 and 212 together and it sounded great. Then I switched to two 410 Avatars thinking it would sound better. IMO, it really didn't.

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Sonically maybe, but 2.67Ωs wouldn't be prudent, wouldn't be prudent. Sorry - Bush senior impression slipped in there for a minute

12. yeldarb69 (Brad)

Jul 11, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have never even tried to run the 412 with one of the 212s.I am very happy with the sound that i get with both 212s together or the 412 by itself or even one of the 212s by itself.But just because i am happy with it doesn't mean it couldn't be better.

13. So 4 ohm/8 ohm combination? Sure, agree. Didn't know the impedance of those cabs.

14. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    For the larger gigs I run an Aguilar stack. S410 on a GS212. It sounds great. I have to use my Crown power amp rig for this set up due to the 4 ohm cabs. Lately, I've run my teeny MB500 on the Fender 610 Pro. Nothing lacking there. I'd love to try a 2 X GS212 stack, but I'd have to sell the 410, and it is a great cab on it's own. Too many choices...
    ps: I don't have PA support, so I always push the house. Bass in the room is never lacking. Neither are low frequency DB's on stage. Mates know they have to put up with it.