1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

212 cab dilema

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer48, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Ok guys need some advice i am using an Eden 212 XLT cab which when i play alone i think sounds great, trouble is with the band is just seems too boomy somehow sort of muddy on cetain notes particularly low notes on the e string. I run my GK amp pretty much flat and play a stock p bass strung with TI flats. And even when i adjust the eq its not much different it seems this is just a charateristic of the cab.

I have always used 15's in the past and i am begining to wonder if maybe if that is the way to go i'm using the 212 and a stand alone cab and would be doing the same with a 1 15 cab playing not too loud country and blues. I have consdiered maybe 210's bit wondering if the sound will be harsh. Ay thoughts would be welcome.

My local shop has a couple of secondhand cabs that look ok one is a JBL 15 cab and the other is a 210 Peavey cab.

2. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    This may not be very helpful but if you're not totally dedicated to TI Flats, you should experiment with different strings.
    If you've already been down that road then I'm no help.

Good luck,

Chad

3. I like the 212XLT a lot. It is the most vintage sounding Eden cab, IMO, and I think it is excellent for the music you are playing. I too play "not too loud" 50s & early 60s country, honky tonk, blues, r&b and jazz. I have pretty much always played 15s, but my tastes seem to be evolving (getting more modern), the longer I inhabit this forum. I am wondering if the mud is a result of the P bass, flats and a vintage sounding cab. Have you tried cutting the bass and boosting the mids and treble on your amp? If I were to try that, I would turn the tweeter down significantly on the cab because Eden's tweeter seems too harsh to me.

BTW, I am a big fan of TI strings, but if you wanted to try a different flatwound, I really like the La Bellas.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    sounds like a nice rig you got there - don't forget to consider that it may the room you are playing in or the location you are used to setting up your amp. keeping the cab away from corners/walls will significantly cut down on the boominess. don't give up on it just yet :)

JR

5. thanks guys i just tried out a 15 JBL cab and i have to say i think its the sound i'm looking for sweet lows, nice well rounded sound across the full frquency range and no boominess though it was in shop. so maybe differnt in a band setting. But interestingly i also tried a 210 peavey cab and noticed that it was harsher and and very mid focused a bit like the like 212 but with more high mids.

6. Ok i made some discoveries i borrowed an old but good qaulity 15 from a mate and did a side by side comparison. First i set everything flat with the 15 then boosted the bass a bit and got a good usable well rounded tone. Then i left the settings the same and plugged in the Eden the bass response was overwhelming and way too much i think where i have going wrong is i'm not used to using such an efficient cab, when i cut the bass back to just under flat and increased the high and low mids i got something pretty close to the 15 with more punch. I also got hold of an old dual parametric EQ unit which also allows me to shape the tone much more so i think that maybe this problem has been solved.

7. That's terrific. You've got a great cab, one that I would like to own.

8. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    You can also reduce boominess by decoupling the cab from the floor. I use an Auralex Gramma Pad under my Berg mini-stack (as recommended by Jim Bergantino) for this purpose. Tightens up the bass noticeably.

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I had the same issue with my Eden 212XLT.
    I really wanted to like it, but I could not get it to sound right for my taste in a band setting. So I had to sell it.
    I replaced it with 2 Aguilar GS112. This solved the issue for ME!

10. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    +1. I like how it sounds itself but had to replaced it with gs410 because I could not heard myself with the band

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

before you go off spending a boatload, you'd be surprised at what the little things do in completely changing your sound. try a set of roundwounds while rolling off your bass' tone knob, and see if that gets you anywhere first.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    nice!

EQ can do amazing things when you know what to tweak for. :cool:

13. LaneOnBass

LaneOnBass

Sep 14, 2004
    Tilton, IL
    Sales Guy, David Nordschow Amplification Endorsements in Current Setup
    The D212XLT is definitely a vintage-style cab...at least for us. Some folks wanted that "pillowy" bottom end. If, like gillento, you think it's too much, try the D112XLT, which is voiced in a totally different way...for more agressive mids.

For those that like the 212, but want little more definition, try adding the 210XST. This combo has been gaining a lot of popularity lately...especially when run with WT550. Get 4 Ohm boxes and you'll get 750W RMS at 2 Ohms.

Hope this helps...