Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

212 comparisons: Ag, SWR, others

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I haven't tried any of them, but what are your choices? The Aguilar by default will get the most votes, maybe rightfully so. What about the SWR though? Looks promising, I don't think I'd need a tweeter anyway, and weight is nice :)

Also note, I'm not looking for super "hi-fi" tone (see here: berg, EA freaks) but more of an old school tone that handles the ranges and styles of modern 5 string and slap bass as well.

Thanks all.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I just bought an Epifani T212. Initial impressions are very good.

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i recently switched from an Eden 210 rig to a component setup with a Berg HT212.

first thing i noticed was the clarity across the board!

gobs of low end, and beautiful highs.

i beat the crap out of it last sunday, it didn't break a sweat.

haven't compared it to the other brands.

but, i'm sure all the new cab kids on the block are fantastic.

fred

4. I recently got to A/B the Aguilar 2x12 with the Epifani 2x12 at Bass Central. I much preferred the Aguilar, but those are just my ears. The Epifani was really deep sounding, too deep, almost to the point of "farting." The Aguilar was clear, but with balls. Best cab I've heard. Beat my Eden D-410XLT fairly handily. I think the Aguilar is a great combination of "hi-fi" and "old-school" sound.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It dosen't look like SWR is trying to compete with the other 2/12 full range cabs.......they haven't posted frequency response yet, and by the cabinet size I don't think it will have the low end throw of the Bergs/Agies/Epifani etc. But to borrow a phrase from Brad.......I could be wrong:)
    Aloha, Jerry

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My observations were just the opposite. I found the Ag lacking in balls and nowhere near as punchy as the Epi. What amps and basses did you use? I was using a Modulus Q6 into an EA iAmp600 and SWR Bass 750.

7. I was using a Lakland Joe Osborn into an EBS 350-watt head when I did the A/B test between the two. I also heard both of them, seperately, being driven by an Eden Navigator and WT-1000, again playing the Joe Osborn. The Epifani sounded really dark to me, almost muddy, and the Aguilar was just it. But, obviously, YMMV. I'm sticking with my Eden D-410XLT, anyway.

8. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I think I like the qualities of the Ag... I will probably get one in the summer...

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sounds like a synergy issue with that amp. I've never heard an Epi sound muddy and your comment about it farting is also very atypical. In any case, glad you like the Ag.

Monty, if you make a decision on a speaker cab based strictly on discussion board opinions, pardon me, but you're a fool! Get out there and hear them for yourself, it's the only way. Good luck.

10. are most 212s 4 or 8 ohms?

11. A little too much! Now, I'm really considering ditching my Eden 4x10 for the Aguilar 2x12. The Aguilar sounded a bit better overall to my ears, and it weighs 28 pounds less. My only concern is that it's rated for 600 watts continuous, and my amp (SWR SM-900) produces 650 or 700 watts bridged into 8 ohms. What do you think? A 2x12 as a standalone for a loud rock band sounds weird, but I'm pretty sure the Ag could handle it.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm really caught between an aguilar 2x12 and an eden 1x15xlt as an extension to my metro. they both sound great and compliment the two 10's, but they're just different-apples and oranges, but i like them both! man, what am i gonna do. this is pretty volatile stuff, ya know :D like sticking a through bulkhead initiator to a mixture of cyclotetramethylenetetranitromine, ammonium perchlorate, polyethyleneglycol/nitroglycerin, and a sprinkling of aluminum powder...hee hee i want 'em both

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    dave siff:

i recently used my Bergantino HT212 in a LOUD rock situation.

sounded amazing!!!!

of course, it had just a teeny bit of help from my new QSC and Aguilar pre.

the cast horn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fred

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh man, you'll have no problem with that Ag handling what the SM900 puts out! It'll be fine. Headroom to spare. In fact, Nick Epifani recommends 1K watts for the T212 even though it's rated at 600 rms into 4 ohms. High end cabs like the Ag and Epi will have no problem being driven by more watts than what the rms rating is. I bet that SM900/Ag combination is clean. SWR's have a really transparent top-end. I loved the way my Bass 750 sounded with the Epi.

Lastly, I'd probably lug the 212 around before I'd take the Eden D410XLT, in fact, that's my dillema, too. I'm seriously thinking of dumping mine now that I've got the Epi.

15. Thanks for the advice. And now, I return to mulling my options..

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    One of the bands I play in is a loud rock band, and my Bergantino 2/12 sounds a lot better than my Eden 4/10........I bought a Bergantino 3/10 at the same time as the 2/12 but I hardly need the extra cab.
    Aloha, Jerry

17. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, I know... I just wanted to know what you all thought, that's all.

When the time comes and I have the money I'll get out and play them all (in summer prob.)

Thanks all