212 instead of 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't want to get into discussion here, I just can tell you I traded in a 215 for a 212 and I don't regret it...
    The 212 sounds tighter, has a tad more low end and is almost as loud...

Matthias

2. Well, I've thought about it quite a bit, and I'm seriously leaning toward getting an Aguilar GS112 to stack on top of my SWR Son of Bertha. I tried my amp in a store through 2 115s and through a 115 and a 210, and I think a 112 would combine the best aspects of both set ups. If anyone has had any experience with a 115 + 210 setup, feel free to share.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    Larzito,

what kind of music do you play? I'm more a funk/slap guy. at any rate, i have a totally different opinion on the cabs.

out of all the 1x12's i tried, my Bergie HT112 was my fav. smooth rounded tone that wasnt as harsh or stingy as the Epifani's. at higher volume, it retained that smooth round character throughout the spectrum, with a nice punch that seemed to make my notes jump. Sure, the Epifani's slap tone was nice and punchie, but at high volume, the Epi's seemed to develop a harsh midrange that made my fingerstyle on my MTD sound like razors. The Aguilar's are good at high volume, with a nicely thick molasses like bed of mids, but it can get muddy compared to the other two cabs. at a lower volume, which i need for my coffee house gigs, it became 2D and cardboardy.

out of all of them, the Bergie seemed to gimme the biggest smile. but like my friends on the HC board say, "To each, their own..."
    just my two cents. :)

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Those Berg 112's are sweet, alright. I'm seriously thinking of adding one to my arsenal for small, restaurant gigs.

5. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Jacob, you might be surprised at how good one of the newer high-end 112s is.

And I wouldn't worry about whether your 300 watt amp would blow a cab, unless you clip it like crazy.

You seem to be worried that it would be too much, but I would be worried that it's not enough. My Epifani T-112s definitely like more than 300 watts for good headroom. They seem to like about 600 watts. Each. Which is about what the Epifani folks recommend (they steered me toward a 1200 watt amp for my pair of T-112s.)

Joker, I don't agree at all about Epi's sounding harsh - you keep making that comment. Mine stay nice and clear as long as you have enough power. I use a bridged QSC PLX1602. What amp did you use them with?

I like my 410, but two good 112s are much easier to lug around, and have almost as much booty.

6. I just got my new cabinet today. I don't have to fuss over it anymore. I went with the Aguilar GS 112. Tommorrow I'll get to try it at a gig. I would have looked into the Epifani and Bergantino, but they're just a bit too expensive.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    Good choice Jake,

the Aggie 1x12 is a great bargain for its price/tone. have fun at your gig!

bben,

i know how we can settle this. how bout you send me your Epi cab, and i'll see if its as nice as my Bergantino.... :D :D :D

8. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey, joker, that sounds like a great idea! Second Tuesday of next week! :cool:

9. I just had my gig last night. The Aguilar sounded great. I noticed a big improvement in my tone. The bass sounded a lot clearer and fuller, than when I was using the 115 by itself. Bassically, the GS 112 did exactlly what I was hoping it would do: create a more definitive, punchier tone.

10. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey, Jacob, glad it worked out. Welcome to the world of happy 112 owners!

11. Zoot H Rollo

Zoot H Rollo Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    no definition with the 212?

eh?!?!?!

hmm...i guess your mileage may vary is an apt statement here.

i had a 210 eden that sounded like utter CRAP. could have been the WT400 too.

when i switched to my current Bergantino 212, my tone opened up completely!!!

with the QSC2402 driving it, i get tons of lows, plenty of mid-grrrrrrrrr, and beautiful highs.

could be the crossover and cast horn the Berg has as opposed to the bullet tweeter many cabs have.

my zon and kingston love it!!!

i'm sure ALL the cabs mentioned here are superb!

12. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    what Fred said!:D

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022