1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

212 vs 410, Cabinet choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hydron, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I'm looking for my first cab, I'm currently playing through a TC BG250 115. I'm looking for a punchier tone, I want to get rid of the muddiness of the combo and add a bit of output volume.

Playing with a loud drummer and 2 guitarists (lead with a line 6 spyder VI HD150+412, Rhythm Marshall mg 100w 212 combo) Mainly play rock (Foo Fighters, RHCP, Muse, QOTSA, Nirvana, etc.)

CAD$

Ampeg SVT212av 4ohm 840$

Fender Rumble 410v3 8ohm 500$ maibe 2 of them later

Tc electronic k410 8ohm 700$

GK neo 212 II 900$

should I strech my budget to a

Ampeg SVT410hlf heritage 4ohm 1079$

Mesaboogie Powerhouse 212 4ohm 1100$

Need your input, feel free the suggest me other cabs

The cab will be powered by a

Hartke HA5500 500w 4ohm / 350w 8ohm

Thanks for your help

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Out of all these, I'd pick the Ampeg 212 first and GK 212 NEO second

3. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    I've got the v3 rumble 410 with the matched head, and it's amazing. Despite being 10's they still hold a clear low end. It's great.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Everyone is going to have his own preferences, OP. The question is: How will you sort through all the suggestions, and how will you know which one, if any, is the best choice for you? :eyebrow:

Of the cab options you've listed, I think you should go with the Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2x12 - and a bigger, badder amp head. For a solid-state head, both the Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine and the Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II come to mind as great choices. For a tube head, probably a Traynor YBA-300, or a Fender 300 Bassman Pro.

And when you can afford it, consider investing in a second Powerhouse 2x12. I wouldn't want to be up against a 4x12 guitar rig, a 2x12 guitar rig and a loud drummer - with just a 2x12 cab.

MM

Al Kraft and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    GK's NEO 212 is probably their most mid-centered cabinet. There are no specifically attenuated frequencies, unlike their 410, which is all about boom and the bottom.

My preference is, and has been for a while, a GK NEO 212

lesliegl likes this.
  6. GK Neo 212 is my vote. Probably the lightest out of all the cabs listed!
    But I'm a weight weenie.

Mike A, lesliegl and Bassmunnky like this.
  7. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    op - I own the two Ampegs mentioned. I use the 212 for gigs that are not going to be very loud (small bars without pa support).

I use the Heritage 410HLF in larger bars without pa support as it can handle more volume then the 212AV - without farting out.

Also, I use an 810E for large venues.

There may be better options for you on your list - but I have never gotten to try the others.

Personally, I prefer just hauling one cab around, but many folks would recommend two like cabs - so you would have options.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of my GK Neo212-II. So much so that I'm considering letting go of a pile of other cabs.

9. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I've always preferred a 2x12 so I would say
    1. GK 2x12
    2. Fender 4x10

10. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    thanks, looks like the gk gets a lot of love

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Hydron - What have you tried and what do you have access to?

12. Fist of all i will say keep away from Mesa Boogie! they are quite warm but punchy! if you want clarity go for Hartke, Ampeg or the best for that "Gallien K" may be your best choice!

13. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

The Mesa Powerhouse 4 ohm 212 is a beast. I would choose it over the other cabs you're considering. Huge, tight lows, and mids and clear highs that are controllable through a selectable crossover.

14. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Resurrection

15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I too like the GK 212, although I would describe it as the most balanced sounding of the Neo cabs, the Neo 115 the most mid-focused, and the Neo 410 as being very full in the bottom end, bright up top, and maybe a tad scooped in the mids (but easily adjusted with some EQ).

I own two Mesa PH 212's (8 Ohm) and think very highly of those cabs. I also have two GK Neo 112 II's which make a nice little stack (equal to the Neo 212 IMO). Honestly though, Mystic Michael hit the nail on the head in the beginning of his post - it's really about the sound you're looking for.

I find GK and Mesa gear quite often to be in the same ballpark voicing wise, so they would be my personal choices out of your list. Both companies design and build their products in the USA (that appeals to me), produce high quality, reliable products that hold up well, and each have excellent reputations for customer support.

16. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    I'd look for 2 used 8 ohm Traynor 410 cabinets. They are easy to find on Kijiji in Canada. You'd be able to keep up with your loud bandmates with that setup and your Hartke head.

17. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    You can pickup those svt410s for less than half of what you list used if you don't mind the classic vs heritage. I think they sound good but haven't tried the heritage which everyone says is noticeably better for not much more.

You can probably find a great deal on craigslist but even for 300 or so used from GC it might be worth it considering you have some time to return it.

18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I think you had better wait a few more years to decide :D

19. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I always prefer 12' drivers for some reason. You have nearly all the warmth of a 15' with a bit more focus.

I have a Hartke HD 112 and I like it a lot. It has an impedance switch so you can choose 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

SamsonTech

If you really need the speaker area, you could stack two of them or just use one for practice or quieter gigs.

I see that you are in Qu├ębec as well. I purchased mine at Musique Red One Music, 2069 Avenue Chartier, Dorval, QC H9P 1H3.
    Online Music Store Montreal, Toronto, Canada | Music instrument Store Montreal | Audio Store Montreal - Red One Music

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM