212 vs 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Nov 18, 2003.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I think I don't have to explain the question I think. It's because I'm going to buy a decent cab (Aguilar perhaps) and going to sell my Bag End 2.10 this evening. (Oh yes...it still feels uncomfortable, but since I'm not a millionaire, I must choose)

I could add a poll, but then all combinations would be quite a lot. (I owned a 410, now want a 212: I owned a 212 and want a 410: Owned both, but I prefer the 410...etc.. :D)

What sounds better for you or cuts through the mix best? Sound characteristics... name it!
  2. I tried to replace an Eden 4x10 with an Aguilar 2x12 as a stand-alone, and it didn't quite cut it. This was in a rock band with a loud guitarist and drummer. The 2x12 had plenty of depth but didn't cut through enough. I threw a 2x10 on top and, voila.. the cut was back. Of course, it depends on what kind of music you're playing and the configuration of your band, but for rock, if you're only going to use one cab, I'd go with a 4x10.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    From the reviews I've read ons 2x12 cabs, most seem to sound more like smallish 15"s than big 10's.
  4. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I play in a loud rock/metal band, and I just bought an Aguilar GS212.

It hasn't arrived yet, though, so I'll let you know how well it works in a band situation when I get a chance to practice with it. :)
  5. I just got a new Aguilar GS212...traded even with a friend for a swr workingman's 2x10 and 1x15. :bassist: I've only used it for one gig so far. I thought it sounded good, but it's missing the punch of 10's...imo. I brought a goliath jr. and turned the volume up for that cabinet after a few songs...that sounded sweet. In my opinion, this is the best combination, 2x12 and 2x10. Tons of bottom end from the 12's, and punch from the 10's.

I might try the Aguilar as a stand alone cabinet this weekend. I was thinking about taking the back casters off so the cabinet will project more towards my ears. Has anyone tried that?
  6. Ok, I tried the Aguilar GS212 as a stand alone cab last night. I took the back casters off to angle it a bit. I was actually impressed, it sounded good. I dialed in a little tweeter to give me some highs, w/o the tweeter it sounded flat. This thing is loud ! Tons of bottom end, low D sounded sweet. I don't use a 5 string so I can't comment on low B. It was a little shy on the midrange which is why I still prefer the 2x12 and 2x10 setup. But overall it's a decent cab, and imo can be used as the only cab.