Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

212 vs 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philzbass, Feb 13, 2006.

1. I've been looking for a new amp for a long time now and I've really liked alot of different ones. Ampeg, Ashdown, GK, Mesa...

Anyway I haven't came to any decision yet and this thread is about speakers. Right now I'm playing through an Ampeg SVT410HLF but I've checked out some Neo 212's (GK, Genz-Benz) and I liked those. Not exactly better than my 410 but I liked em. Well, I'm thinking about making a trade, my 410 for one of the more portable 212's.

Just wondering what anyone else's experienc is with a 212 as opposed to a 410. Do you think they sound better? Worse? or just different?

What kind of sound would you classify a 212? 410?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have used both the Neo 2x12 and Neo 410.

I used to own the Genz Benz NEOX-212T. That was a great sounding cab, with a very cool design. I used it as a stand alone cab for two gigs, one in a small club, the other in an auditorium, and it handled it fine. It handled the lows decently, and had a really cool sound. The way it handled mids was what stood out most from this cab. Weighs about 60lbs.

I know own an Avatar B410 Neo. This thing only weighs 5lbs more than the Genz Benz 2x12, and is roughly the same size. A little shorter and a little wider with the same depth. First thing you notice with this cab is the awesome punch. I love a great articulate sound and this cab gives it to me. It also handles the low B on my Carvin LB75F better than any cab I've ever owned. This thing gets down low. Weighs about 65lbs.

I would highly recommend avatar for the money. Avatar also makes a 2x12 Neo cab that only weighs about 50lbs!!! Both cabs cost about $250-$300 less than the Genz Benz also. I believe both companies use comparable Eminence speakers (if not the same) in thier cabs.

3. Alright, I guess this was a bad thread..........Oh Well

Thanx for your reply xgabriel: I'm going to assume that you like the 410 better than a 212.