Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

212 VS. 412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Mar 9, 2002.

1. 2 12"

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. 4 12"

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. My recent thoughts have changed about the 412's I think. I don't know if I can handle the lugging it around. So, say I get the 212. The 212's are 600 watts, which isn't teriible at all (the 412's are 800 I think), because the head I was Planning on buying is 590 watts peak. So, soundwise, not any brand in particular, how do 212's compare to 412's?

2. Since I mike my amps for recording or play small house parties, a 4x12 would be silly.

Noisy pub? Yeah, I wanna 4x12 to drown out that cocky guitarist ;)

He, he, he. :D

Soundwise - the same. 4x12 sounded awful on a house patio. 2x12 in the pub, my high and mids got lost in the crowd - literally.

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    What's better, a donut or half a donut?

Same thing. There isn't much difference besides the obvious.

4. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I think the 2x12 has more versatility (if I used the right word :D) then the 4x12. And it's true that a person really doesnt' want to just drown out the crowd, so I say 2x12. :)

5. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    two 1x12's

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i would say the 2x12 plus a 1x18

2x12 seems like you could combine it with other cabs and get better results than the 4x12

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Fewer speaker elements per cab is, IMLE, better for sound.
    Fewer speaker elements per cab is, definitely, better for ones back.

2x10+subwoofer is a nice combination.

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    So how does one explain the inimitable tone of an old Ampeg 810 cab? Or the amazing fidelity of an EA 210?

I do agree however that fewer elements per cab are easier on the back.

Ultimately, you have to go with what sound you want and how many speakers it takes to get that sound versus how many trips to the car you're willing to make. For me, I'd rather deal with one cab that gives me what I want instead of making multiple trips back and forth.

BTW, moving heavy objects has more to do with proper posture and technique than brute strength. Since talking to some weightlifters regarding technique, my back doesn't hurt even after carrying my Aggie (~100lbs?) up several flights of stairs. Ain't I am not Ahnuld by any stretch of the imagination.