212's 0r 115??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Feb 27, 2004.

1. 115

15 vote(s)
  2. 212

50 vote(s)
  1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Which would you rather have??
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Both, but if standalone, then 212.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  4. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003

I have no reason.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    115... It's what I use now and the sound I grew up on...

6. to me the 12" speaker is not a best of both worlds (1x15 & 4x10)... to my ears it sounds mediocre....It dosent have the punch of a 4x10 nor the bottom of a 1x15......many people disagree..they think it is the best of both worlds.

Im more of an "all or nothing at all" type of person though.....

I voted 1x15
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Got 'em both. MM 2x12, JBL 1x15's (2) and Sonic 1x15 w/ JBL D-140. Really different sounding cabs entirely. I love the 1x15 sound but - it's a one trick pony. It's a good trick, mind you but the MM cab is quite a lot more flexible.

To be fair, the MM cab won't do the 1x15's trick - but it will get passably close and the 1x15's won't get in the neighborhood of the MM's clarity.

For 1x15's by the way, I suspect you'd have to be talking high end 1x15's to get as nice a tone as the old JBL Cabaret bins provide. The D&K series JBL's are wonderfully good drivers. I suspect the EV equipped Mesa would be about the equivalent sounding cab based on driver quaity.
  8. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    it's funny, according to most spcs. The frequency responce is exactly the same for most 12's and 15's.
  9. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Neither. An Acme Low B2, preferably driven by a Crown K1. http://www.acmebass.com

But if you are using a PA with good subs and plenty of power, a little 1x10 or 1x12 combo is you should use if you want the best sound possible out in the house. Better yet is a set of in-ears and a platform with a Buttkicker on it.
  10. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    It all depends on the cabinate, you can't generalize all cabs with 10's in them and all cabs with 12's or 15's. Every cab is different and has it's own charictaristics. I wouldn't say that a 2x12 has the punch of a 4x10 cab because a 4x10 has more speaker area, but I would say it has the punch of a 2x10 and handles the lows of a 1x15 cab. I've owned many different configurations of cabs and I've found as a rule of thumb that each maker has it's own charictaristics, but there are also charictaristics that apply to certin speakers as well.
    anywho my rant is done,
  11. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Would you rather have one 4x10 or one 1x15 and a 2x10. The 4x10 has more surface area to push the air, but will the 1x15 handle lows better?
  12. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

A 4x10 will go lower on the frequency spectrum and will give you more punch.

A 15 will give you bigger rounder sounding lows and lower midrange, and will project lows farther off the stage into the audience.

I think I'd go 4x10 if I were miked into the PA. Full range sound into the PA, lots of punch and definition, and your stage rig doesn't throw lows out to compete with the PA. I find that even in practice, the low end drops off fairly quickly even just walking as far as my instrument cable lets me go.

210+115 if I had no PA support. You get the lows out into the room and have the punch and definition of the 210.
  13. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I find that few 15s do anything better than most 10s. However if it's a typical 4x10 + horn, they often have no "round wound growl", so I prefer just the 10s. However my favorite is the Acme Low B2, which is an affordable three way 2x10 box. Properly driven, one box can handle most situations. As to what to do when the bass is in the PA, please go to http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118441 and scroll down to post #15.
  14. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    IMHO of course. I own a 212 Epifani, old design, that I bought used, with delivery, casters, and cover for around $800. It was and still is in close to perfect shape. You give me any commercially available 115 and this will absolutely blow the doors off of it. More volume, more tone, more punch, more fullness, more clarity, more versatility, more portable, more BOOTY.....LESS weight than a larger 115 in many cases. Yeah, a top of the line one may cost a bit more than a single 15. For those of you who don't care about any of the above, go ahead and get your one trick pony 115. I've never heard nor played through a 115 I've liked except the smaller Bag End models (I had two of them) that can do what I can with the 212. I will say I haven't played a Bergantino or Epifani 115, so maybe I'm a little outta touch on the newest of stuff, but I play a jam with an Ampeg 115 and even with my head and bass, it sounds like crappola. There's no way even these higher end cabs can match the 212 I own in any of the above categories. Once I get the Neospeakers, I'll have a 55 pound cabinet that will knock everyone's socks off.

For those of you who think 215's sound good, try going out into the room you're playing in some time. I'd say that if there's no walls/playing outdoors, 215's with a tweeter is probably gonna sound good in the audience, but it may sound like crap on stage. The 212 just punches out at any volume on and off stage.

Good luck to ya.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ahhhhhh...variety IS the spice of life...

16. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    It depends on how you interpret "best of both worlds."

If you're looking for a 12 to give you all the punch of a 10 and all the bottom of a 15, you'll probably be disappointed (obviously depending on the brands/models compared, but in general)

However, if you're looking for a "thick-sounding 10" or a "punchy" 15, you'll probably like what a 12 offers. My P-bass sounded too thin through my 410, but I liked the definition. It had a good thick low end through my 1x15 combo, but lacked definition. The 12 really was the answer I was looking for. Keep in mind I'm using an Aguilar GS 112, so there is a certain standard of quality there.
  17. Depending on what style you play, 2x12 cabs can give you the best of both worlds. The low end of a 15" and the punchiness of a 10.

I used and/or still use the following:

1. Epifani 2x12
    2. Euphonic Audio CXL112 (2 of them, they're KILLER)
    3. Avatar 2x12 (very decent cab, especially for the price).