Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

212xlt or 215 xlt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jambassist, Apr 3, 2005.

1. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i play in a loud punk/alt-rock/hard rock band and the 210xlt i have ain't making it. it's a great cab, but not for those circumstances. it's all i have so i'm trying to make due for now. i have a mesa walkabout head that gives me plenty of power and i play a 4 string stingray. most of our songs are in normal tuning, a couple in drop D. tried both the cabs at the local store and they both sound great and we're sick loud. i noticed (or thought i did) that the 212 responded faster than the 215. neither one had a problem reproducing the low D that was farting out through the 210.

the dealer is willing to take the 210xlt in trade so it's just a matter of which one to go with. they're both about the same price. i'm leaning towards the 212 for size and for versatility. this is going to be a stand alone cab running at 4 ohms and the only cab i'll be using. do any of you have any thoughts or suggestions on this? thanks in advance.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what's the wattage rating on the 2? and is the 2x15 noticeably louder? for "sick loud" i might go with the 2x15.

3. I love the D-215XLT, but in this case I'd probably go for the D-212XLT, because it responds quicker and punkish lines can get pretty fast, plus the portability issue.

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    My 212xlt never went loud without farting, so I suggest you to stack it with your 210 or some other cab. But I agree that tone is beautiful. Never played 2x15 though

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The 212XLT is one of my favorite Eden cabs. I found it to be very well balanced, tonally, and I never had any trouble getting volume without "farting out." Of course, I was using mine with a Mesa Boogie 4x10 and I drove them both with plenty of juice (QSC PLX 3002).

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    The 212 is a wonderful cab. It is clear and low. I don't know about stupid loud. Supid loud is hard to quantify. I use a GK 700rbII which is 480 watts. I probably wouldn't send all of that power to the eden in fear of over-excursion of the speakers. The cab, however, can maintain some serious volumes on a low b string without farting. I also think that the 212xlt is the most accurate eden cab I have heard. I mean, I think this cab colors less than all of the other eden cabs. I love this cab to death and would reccomend it for a multitude of situations. No matter where I go or what I choose to play this cab does a fantastic job.

danman

7. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i would imagine the 2x12 should be loud enough for any modern rock band assuming you have enough power going thru it. if the 2x12 is loud enough for you then choose which one sounds better to your ears.

8. It's pretty close race between the two cabs. The power rating is equal, the only difference in dimensions is the 215XLT is 10.5" taller and 26lbs heavier than the 2x12 and they have equal power handling. The 2x15 does goes lower than the 2x12 by 4K hz and the larger drivers probably means the 2x15 can whip up a bigger breeze, but all in all I don't think you could go wrong with either cab. Tough choice.

9. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I have no complaints about its tone, however in loud rock situations when used as standalone cab I have difficulties to hear myself, so probably adding 2x10" or 4x10" should help.

Shouldn't sell it. I always wonder how 2 212xlt sound together :meh:

10. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have played with a rock band for about 100 people without any problems. This was also in a 300 seat house. A pretty big place without PA support.

Whatever the case,
    With the same amplifier and the same power rating on each of the two cabinets.

I don't think that you will have a serious difference in volume between the two cabs.

danman

11. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    well you obviously wouldnt hear the 15's as well even though they would be moving more air. you would definitely feel the 15s more then you would hear them. the 15's focus is on the lower frequencies.

12. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    You might be suprised on how full range the 215xlt sounds as compared to other 215's. This cabinet is not your pop's ol' acoustic 215. The eden 215 is a full range machine. I took the 212 because I didn't want to carry the 215.

danman

13. I own both the 212xlt and the 210 xlt and I power both with an aguilar DB750. Recently, I have been using the 212xlt as a stand-alone and it sounds fabulous...probably a better overall sound than when I'm also using the 210xlt. There's a certain sweetness to that cab that's hard to define but I'm loving it more and more. So much so that I'm thinking of getting rid of the 210xlt and getting another 212xlt. I have couple of vintage P basses and two Lakand fivers and it all sounds great through the 212xlt...though I suspect the Aguilar doesn't hurt either... ;)

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Having owned the 212XLT, I always thought that the 210XST would be a good match for it, though I never did get a chance to try. That might be another option to consider. Compared to the 212XLT, I felt tha tat the 212XLT was more clear and articulate, and the 210XST also seemed fairly clear and articulate to my ears.

15. Hey Tom - I think I bought your 212xlt....sometime last year...the cab was in near perfect condition with an Eden cover....sound familiar?

16. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I run the 215XLT with my 210XLT and it is the best sounds I have ever heard. Others has complimented the same. For smaller gigs I just run the 215XLT for when the room isn't exactly tuned. I am awaiting my 610XLT to see what that is all about.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup! I thought your name was familiar!

18. Oh dude I hate you man. 215XLT and 610XLT. Thats awesome dude, I'm sure its gonna rock.

P.S., Great music man!

:bassist: x 2

19. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    it's gonna shake some stuff for sure.

20. No doubt.