215....118.....is one better than the other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 5, 2003.

1. 1x18

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. 2x15

25 vote(s)
    96.2%
  1. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Personally, I use an ADA MB-1. It's got yer tube and solid state preamps that you can blend as you wish, 5 band semi-parametric eq, a crossover, two effects loops, a pretty good compressor, chorus.........and it's all programmable via MIDI. 128 different preset sounds available with a stomp of the foot. There are preamps that do a specific sound better, but this one does everything very, very well. BUT, ADA's been out of business for a good while now - their factory burned down and they never rebuilt, they just closed the doors.

Because of that, I keep my trusty Yamaha PB-1 around just in case.........

2. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks Bruce. That is exactly right, except the crossover out is on the FRONT of of the amp ;)

MJ, did that help any?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, that helps stubi. You and Bruce set me straight on the Firebass.

You guys are awesome.

I was under the impression I could plug in a 410 and a 215 into the back of the FB and adjust the highs and lows to each cab with a knob. Thus having one amp to control two cabs, which sounds so easy to me. I am not sure I am prepared for multiple things to plug in and hook up. It looks like I am going to have to anyway. I guess that is the price to pay to be loud, and sound just right.

OK...so why does the Firebass go down to 2ohms if you can only run one cab from it? Why is there a crossover if you need a seperate amp? Isn't it designed to do what I want to?

Now I have to go buy that Crown, and sit in my den while I try to figure out how to hook up all of these cabs and amps without burning down the house. Oh yeah, I am going to need to buy some more cables. Right now I have two. One for the amp to speakers, and one from the amp to the bass. Here we goooooooooooo. :)

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Bruce,

There is a site for ADA users. It has links & info about parts & tech stuff. I also use an ADA MB-1...

later,
    ~S~

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Once you've got everything in a rack and have the cables hooked up, all you have to unplug is the speakers to move it. You don't have to disconnect everything and start from scratch. It's not any more difficult than what you've got now.

You can run more than one cab from it - but each cab recieves the same signal.

That's just the way they decided to make it. Maybe Peavey would like to tempt you into buying one of their power amps....

It's designed to get you halfway there.

Don't worry. It's really not that hard.

This is a cable ----> OK?

Bass ----> Preamp Input

Preamp Output ----> Power Amp

Power Amp Speaker Output ----> Speakers

If you get a crossover, here's how you bi-amp....

Preamp output ----> crossover input

crossover high output ----> power amp channel A input

crossover low output ----> power amp channel B input

Power amp channel A speaker output ----> high frequency cab

Power amp channel B speaker output ----> low frequency cab

.....and yer ready to go.....

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I've seen a couple of different sites for ADA stuff. Even found one that has some stuff for sale that's brand new, in the box - preamps, footswitches, all kinds of ADA stuff.

I'm thinking of playing around with some different tubes in mine. Seems to me that it's actually got a little too much gain - it's too easy to clip with even moderate amounts of eq. Since it's got two 12ax7's in it, and 12ax7's have the highest gain factor of that tube family, I'm thinking of trying one 12ax7 and one 5751 or 12at7 to cool it off a little bit. Might help to make the DI a little less noisy, too.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Bruce,

7025's...

~S~