Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

21st century schizoidband

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Apr 15, 2004.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm not sure whether to be excited about this, or think it's lame. I guess I will have to go to a show and see what the fuss is all about.

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i thought the same.

but, check out the videos.

sounds pretty damned good!

f

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like Starless better with Fripp singing it.

Pretty good though, I always thought that guitar part was a synth.

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    um, that was John Wetton singing originally.

[​IMG]

Robert Fripp:guitar, mellotron

Bill Bruford: percussives

John Wetton:bass, vocals

Other session players.

if you check the notes area, John Wetton came to one of their shows and sang.

i'm gonna go check them out when they come to the Coach House,

f

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    supposedly:

Kurt Cobain once said he wanted to move Nirvana's sound in the direction of what the Crims accomplished here.

from the net.

guess he wasn't all bad.

:cool:

f

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Didn't know John Wetton sang, sorry for my mistake.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Asia, baby, Asia.

I intend to see them. Reviews on the net have been pretty positive. Worht the money, I suspect, for the avg Crim aficionado.

And the "other session players" on Red were, of course, none other than Mel Collins on winds (from the first incarnation of KC) and David Cross on violin, who contributed tracks on this disc prior to leaving the group in '75.

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I only have RED, Starless and Bible Black, and the newest cd with Gunn on it.

From what I have heard of them, I really like the older Crimson over new Crimson.

I am at a stand still for which KC disc to buy next, any suggestions?

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Discipline is excellent, as are Larks Tongues in Aspic, & The Power to Believe. All of it is good, though, and every CD sounds different.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have Power to Believe and I really don't like the psuedo-techno rock the dominates the album.

What about In the Court of the Crimson King? I have heard one track off it that I loved and heard several good reviews of the album.

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess which KC album you listen to depends on what mood you are in. If you want techno metal, check out The Power to Believe or ConstruKction of Light. You want Beatles infused metalish fusiony mahem, get Thrak. 80's synthy pop gammalean music? Discipline, Beat, & Three of a Perfect pair. 70's uber prog folksy metal? Red, Starless and Bible Black, & Larks Tongues in Aspic. Classic 70's prog-rock: In the Court of the Crimson King, In the wake of Poseidon. Jazzy, classical stuff, bluesy rock: Islands & Lizard.

Too bad you aren't into the techno metal stuff they are doing. I think it's some of their best work. That a real drummer playing that stuff, by the way.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I didn't think it was a drum machine or anything, I just don't love the album. It is still better than the majority of other albums released on major record labels, just based on the originality of the disc.

Good breakdown of the changing sound of Crimson, sign me up for the folk metal stuff. :D